William James (January 11, 1842 – August 26, 1910) was a pioneering American psychologist and philosopher who was trained as a physician. He was the first educator to offer a psychology course in the U.S. He wrote influential books on the young science of psychology, educational psychology, psychology of religious experience and mysticism, and on the philosophy of pragmatism. He was the brother of novelist Henry James and of diarist Alice James. In the summer of 1878, James married Alice Gibbens.
William James was born at the Astor House in New York City. He was the son of Henry James Sr., a noted and independently wealthy Swedenborgian theologian well acquainted with the literary and intellectual elites of his day. The intellectual brilliance of the James family milieu and the remarkable epistolary talents of several of its members have made them a subject of continuing interest to historians, biographers, and critics.
1. IF YOU CARE ENOUGH FOR A RESULT, YOU WILL MOST CERTAINLY ATTAIN IT.
2. THERE IS BUT ONE CAUSE OF HUMAN FAILURE. AND THAT IS MAN’S LACK OF FAITH IN HIS TRUE SELF.
3. THE ART OF BEING WISE IS KNOWING WHAT TO OVERLOOK.
4. ACTION MAY NOT ALWAYS BRING HAPPINESS, BUT THERE IS NO HAPPINESS WITHOUT ACTION.
5. THE GREATEST WEAPON AGAINST STRESS IS OUR ABILITY TO CHOOSE ONE THOUGHT OVER ANOTHER.
6. WE DON’T LAUGH BECAUSE WE’RE HAPPY, WE’RE HAPPY BECAUSE WE LAUGH.
7. NOTHING IS SO FATIGUING AS THE ETERNAL HANGING ON OF AN UNCOMPLETED TASK.
8. ANYTHING YOU MAY HOLD FIRMLY IN YOUR IMAGINATION CAN BE YOURS.
9. BEGIN TO BE NOW WHAT YOU WILL BE HEREAFTER.
10. THE DEEPEST PRINCIPLE IN HUMAN NATURE IS THE CRAVING TO BE APPRECIATED.
11. WHEREVER YOU ARE, IT IS YOUR FRIENDS WHO MAKE YOUR WORLD.
12. THE AIM OF A COLLEGE EDUCATION IS TO TEACH YOU TO KNOW A GOOD MAN WHEN YOU SEE ONE.
13. IT IS ONLY BY RISKING OUR PERSONS FROM ONE HOUR TO ANOTHER THAT WE LIVE AT ALL.
14. OUR VIEW OF THE WORLD IS TRULY SHAPED BY WHAT WE DECIDE TO HEAR.
15. RELIGION IS A MONUMENTAL CHAPTER IN THE HISTORY OF HUMAN EGOISM.
16. IF ANY ORGANISM FAILS TO FULFILL ITS POTENTIALITIES, IT BECOMES SICK.
17. MY EXPERIENCE IS WHAT I AGREE TO ATTEND TO.
18. THIS LIFE IS WORTH LIVING, WE CAN SAY, SINCE IT IS WHAT WE MAKE IT.
19. I DON’T SING CAUSE I’M HAPPY I’M HAPPY CAUSE I SING.