Wentworth Earl Miller III (born June 2, 1972) is an American actor, model, screenwriter and producer. He rose to stardom following his role as Michael Scofield in the Fox television series Prison Break, for which he received a Golden Globe Award nomination for best actor in a leading role. He made his screenwriting debut with the 2013 dramatic thriller film Stoker, which stars Nicole Kidman and Mia Wasikowska.
Born in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, England, Miller is the son of American parents Joy Marie, a special education teacher, and Wentworth Earl Miller II, a lawyer and teacher. Miller’s father, a Rhodes Scholar, was studying at Oxford at the time of Miller’s birth. Wentworth retains dual citizenship, but has affirmed that he has always been an American.
1. I HAVE VERY HIGH EXPECTATIONS OF MYSELF. I’M A VERY COMPETITIVE PERSON BUT COMPETITIVE WITH MYSELF. I WANT TO BE THE BEST THAT I CAN BE AND IF THAT MEANS THAT I’M EVENTUALLY BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE THEN SO BE IT.
2. CONFIDENCE IS AT THE ROOT OF SO MANY ATTRACTIVE QUALITIES, A SENSE OF HUMOR, A SENSE OF STYLE, A WILLINGNESS TO BE WHO YOU ARE NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE ELSE MIGHT THINK OR SAY AND IT’S TRUE, I DO HAVE A CERTAIN FONDNESS FOR WOMEN THAT HAVE DARK HAIR.
3. IDOL BUT I AM GRATEFUL TO THEM. THAT SHOW IS ONE OF FOX’S BIGGEST MONEYMAKERS, AND SOME OF THAT MONEY GOES TO PAY FOR SHOWS LIKE PRISON BREAK. SIMON COWELL’S BEEN SIGNING MY PAYCHECKS AND FOR THAT I SAY THANKS.
4. A GREAT BOOK PROVIDES ESCAPISM FOR ME. THE ARTISTRY AND THE CREATIVITY IN A STORY ARE BETTER THAN ANY DRUGS.
5. I SPEND MY WEEKENDS SLEEPING AND WATCHING DVDS, AND EATING AT RESTAURANTS WITHIN A 2-BLOCK RADIUS OF MY APARTMENT.
6. AN ACTOR’S JOB IS TO EMBRACE EMOTIONS AND SITUATIONS THAT IN REAL LIFE WE SPEND ALL OF OUR TIME RUNNING AWAY FROM.
7. YOU’RE CONFRONTED WITH THE QUANDARY: DO I GRIND THINGS TO A HALT? IDEALLY YOU WOULD, BUT I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN EDUCATE PEOPLE.
8. MY CHARACTER IN ‘PRISON BREAK’ NEEDS TO BE FORMIDABLE. IN REALITY, I’M NOT VERY TOUGH AT ALL.
9. NOBODY’S EVER ASKED ME TO PAY FOR A MEAL BEFORE I’VE EATEN IT, I’VE NEVER BEEN PULLED OVER JUST BECAUSE I WAS DRIVING THE WRONG KIND OF CAR IN THE WRONG KIND OF AREA AT THE WRONG TIME OF NIGHT.
10. GROWING UP, I WAS A TARGET. SPEAKING THE RIGHT WAY, STANDING THE RIGHT WAY, HOLDING YOUR WRIST THE RIGHT WAY. EVERY DAY WAS A TEST, AND THERE WERE A THOUSAND WAYS TO FAIL, A THOUSAND WAYS TO BETRAY YOURSELF, TO NOT LIVE UP TO SOMEONE ELSE’S STANDARDS OF WHAT WAS ACCEPTED, OF WHAT WAS NORMAL.
11. I’M A VERY COMPETITIVE PERSON, BUT COMPETITIVE WITH MYSELF. I WANT TO BE THE BEST THAT I CAN BE, AND IF THAT MEANS THAT I’M EVENTUALLY BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE, THEN SO BE IT. BUT I DON’T GO AROUND COMPARING AND CONTRASTING MYSELF WITH OTHER ACTORS IF I CAN HELP IT. IT’S ALSO, I THINK, THE KEY TO MY SUCCESS.
12. WHEN I’VE HAD MY PERIODS OF UNEMPLOYMENT, I’LL GET THESE E-MAILS FROM MY FATHER: ‘I’VE READ THAT THE LAPD HAS A RESERVIST PROGRAM. PERHAPS THAT’S SOMETHING YOU’D BE INTERESTED IN TAKING A LOOK AT.’
13. THERE’S SO MUCH WE CAN’T EXPRESS IN OUR DAY-TO-DAY INTERACTION WITH PEOPLE BECAUSE IT’S CONSIDERED INAPPROPRIATE. AND ACTING IS ALL ABOUT BEING INAPPROPRIATE.
14. TO BE HONEST, I FIND GOING OUT PRETTY SCARY AND INTIMIDATING. GOT ALL THOSE PEOPLE CHECKING YOU OUT, WITH ONLY ONE PURPOSE: HOOKING UP. I’M QUITE THE DORK, I’D RATHER SIT HOME AND PLAY SCRABBLE. BUT THAT DOESN’T GET YOU A GIRL, DOES IT?
15. I DIDN’T COME TO HOLLYWOOD TO GET ON MAGAZINE COVERS OR START MY PORSCHE COLLECTION OR TO ENJOY THAT KIND OF LIFESTYLE, TO GO TO THE RIGHT PARTIES AND MEET THE RIGHT PEOPLE.
16. IN MY CAREER AS AN ACTOR, THERE IS A CATCHPHRASE THAT SCOFIELD ALWAYS SAYS OFTEN IN REGARDS TO HIS BROTHER, ‘HAVE A LITTLE FAITH.’ IN MY OWN CAREER AS AN ACTOR, THERE WERE TIMES WHEN I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO BELIEVED IN MYSELF IN THE FACE OF THE ODDS.
17. IT’S THE WAY THE BUSINESS WORKS, YOU’RE NOT JUST AN ACTOR, YOU’RE A DIPLOMAT AND A PUBLICIST AND A POLITICIAN, AND THERE ARE CERTAIN EXPECTATIONS.
18. I’M KIND OF A DORK. I DON’T HAVE MUCH GAME. I’M NOT PARTICULARLY COMFORTABLE IN BARS OR CLUBS. I MUCH PREFER BEING HOME PLAYING SCRABBLE, HAVING DINNER WITH A COUPLE FRIENDS, GOING TO SEE A MOVIE, OR LOSING A WHOLE WEEKEND TO SEASON 14 OF LAW AND ORDER OR THE SIMPSONS.