Vanessa Lynn Williams (born March 18, 1963) is an American singer, actress, producer and former fashion model. In 1983, she became the first African-American woman crowned Miss America, but a scandal arose when Penthouse magazine bought and published nude photographs of her. She relinquished her title early and was succeeded by the first runner-up, Suzette Charles of New Jersey. Williams rebounded by launching a career as an entertainer, earning multiple Grammy, Emmy, and Tony Award nominations. She is arguably the most successful Miss America winner in the field of entertainment.
Williams released her debut album The Right Stuff in 1988, which spawned the hits “The Right Stuff”, a No. 1 on Hot Dance Songs, and “Dreamin'” a No. 1 on R&B and No. 8 on Billboard Hot 100.
1. THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS THAT YOU DON’T REALIZE THAT YOUR PARENTS ARE GOING THROUGH WHEN YOU’RE A KID.
2. THE WISER YOU GET, THE MORE EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE, AND THE MORE YOU SEE PEOPLE FOR WHO THEY ARE AS HUMAN BEINGS, AS OPPOSED TO FIGURES YOU HAVE TO FIGHT AGAINST.
3. WELL, MY MOM TAUGHT PUBLIC SCHOOL MUSIC FOR ALMOST 40 YEARS. AND SHE’S ABOUT 5 FEET – AND VERY MIGHTY. AND SHE WOULD CONTROL HER KIDS A LOT BY GIVING THEM THE EYE, OR THE STARE.
4. YOU’RE ALWAYS GOING TO HAVE PEOPLE THAT ARE NAYSAYERS, THAT DON’T BELIEVE IN YOUR TALENT, THAT DON’T BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE ANY KIND OF LONGEVITY.
5. NEW YORK IS MY HOME.
6. AND AT 19, YOU THINK YOU RULE THE WORLD, AND YOU CAN CONTROL THINGS. AND A LOT OF TIMES, YOU DON’T.
7. SUCCESS IS THE SWEETEST REVENGE.
8. BROADWAY IS REALLY MY LIFE.
9. I AM LUCKY TO HAVE THREE DAUGHTERS WHO ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I LOOK AT MY DAUGHTERS AND I HAVE DIFFERENT RELATIONSHIPS WITH ALL THREE AND THERE ARE PARTS OF EACH PERSONALITY THAT ARE VERY SPECIAL.
10. I THINK THERE’S A TIME TO WORK, AND EVERYONE HAS TO KIND OF ADJUST. AND THEN THERE’S A TIME TO RELAX, AND BE THE MOM OR TAKE THE KIDS ON VACATION WHEN YOU NEED TO WIND DOWN. SO IT’S A MATTER OF PLANNING, AND BEING ABLE TO MAP OUT YOUR YEAR OR YOUR WEEK OR LET’S START WITH THE DAY. IT IS JUST BEING MULTI-TASKING AND BEING AVAILABLE.
11. AND WHEN PEOPLE GIVE ME THEIR WORD, I LISTEN TO THEM.
12. I LOVE THE FRENCH HORN.
13. MY PARENTS ARE BOTH TEACHERS, SO WE HAD THE SUMMERS OFF.