Tyler Perry (born September 13, 1969) is an American actor, director, screenwriter, playwright, producer, author, and songwriter, specializing in the gospel genre. Perry wrote and produced many stage plays during the 1990s and early 2000s. In 2011, Forbes named him the highest paid man in entertainment; he earned $130 million between May 2010 and 2011.
Perry is known for both creating and performing in drag the Madea character, a tough elderly woman. Perry also creates films, some produced as live recordings of stage plays, and others professionally filmed using full sets and locations with full editing. Perry is estimated to have earned around $75 million by 2008. Many of Perry’s stage-play films have been subsequently adapted as professional films.
1. IT’S NOT AN EASY JOURNEY, TO GET TO A PLACE WHERE YOU FORGIVE PEOPLE. BUT IT IS SUCH A POWERFUL PLACE, BECAUSE IT FREES YOU.
2. I THINK THERE’S SOMETHING THAT HAPPENS AT 40 WHERE YOU SETTLE INTO YOUR OWN SKIN AND YOU STOP CARING WHAT PEOPLE THINK – YOU REALIZE LIFE IS A GIFT FROM GOD AND YOU WANT TO LIVE IT TO THE FULLEST.
3. I LOVE TO SEE A WOMAN IN HIGH-HEELED SHOES. THERE’S SOMETHING ABOUT THE CURVE OF THE FEET UP THE LEG TO THE BUTT THAT’S REALLY, REALLY WONDERFUL, AND THE RIGHT PAIR OF SHOES CAN GIVE YOU THE RIGHT SILHOUETTE.
4. YOU CLOSE THE DOOR ON ME AND TELL ME I CAN’T, I’M GONNA FIND A WAY TO GET IN.
5. MY BIGGEST SUCCESS IS GETTING OVER THE THINGS THAT HAVE TRIED TO DESTROY AND TAKE ME OUT OF THIS LIFE. THOSE ARE MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WORK.
6. HAPPINESS FOR ME IS TOTALLY JUST BEING AT PEACE KNOWING THAT, EVERYTHING I’M DOING, GOD IS PLEASED WITH THAT. IT’S COMPLETE PEACE FOR ME.
7. I THINK IT’S IMPORTANT TO SHOW A HUSBAND AND A WIFE TOGETHER, IN A ROOM, RAISING CHILDREN, BECAUSE YOU DON’T SEE THAT ANYMORE.
8. THE BIBLE SAYS THAT ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR THE GOOD OF THOSE WHO LOVE THE LORD AND ARE CALLED ACCORDING TO HIS PURPOSE. I BELIEVE THAT. BECAUSE I’VE SEEN IT ALL WORK.
9. I REMEMBER BEING A KID AND PRAYING IN THE HELL OF MY HOUSE TO HAVE SOMEBODY LOVE ME AND SOMEBODY THAT I COULD LOVE.
10. I DON’T THINK THE DREAMS DIE – I THINK THAT PEOPLE GIVE UP. I THINK IT GETS TOO HARD.
11. I’M NOT SURE WHY NO ONE WANTS TO ADMIT THERE’S A VIABLE AUDIENCE OUT THERE THAT BELIEVES IN GOD AND WANTS TO SEE A MOVIE WITH THEIR FAMILY. THE DEMAND IS THERE. THE SUPPLY IS NOT.
12. YOU KNOW, PEOPLE AT WAL-MART ARE STANDING THERE WITH THEIR UNIFORMS ON. I FEEL LIKE I’M PUTTING ON A UNIFORM TO DO A MOVIE. I DON’T FEEL LIKE IT’S DRESSING IN DRAG.
13. MY MOTHER WAS TRULY MY SAVING GRACE, BECAUSE SHE WOULD TAKE ME TO CHURCH WITH HER. I WOULD SEE MY MOTHER SMILING IN THE CHOIR, AND I WANTED TO KNOW THIS GOD THAT MADE HER SO HAPPY. IF I HAD NOT HAD THAT FAITH IN MY LIFE, I DON’T KNOW WHERE I WOULD BE RIGHT NOW.
14. YOU CAN NEVER BE UPSET WITH THE PEOPLE WHO FORCED YOU INTO YOUR DREAM OR UP HIGHER.
15. EVERYONE CAN RELATE TO LOVE, HURT, PAIN, LEARNING HOW TO FORGIVE, NEEDING TO GET OVER, NEEDING THE POWER OF GOD IN THEIR LIFE.
16. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT I LEARNED IN GROWING UP IS THAT FORGIVENESS IS SOMETHING THAT, WHEN YOU DO IT, YOU FREE YOURSELF TO MOVE ON.
17. I’M NOT AN ARTIST. I SET THE CAMERA UP AND TELL MY STORY.
18. CHILDREN LOVE THEIR MOTHERS. ESPECIALLY WITH A BOY CHILD AND HIS MOTHER, THERE’S A BOND THAT’S UNBREAKABLE.
19. THE KEY TO LIFE WHEN IT GETS TOUGH IS TO KEEP MOVING. JUST KEEP MOVING.