Toni Morrison (born February 18, 1931) is an American novelist, editor, and professor. Her novels are known for their epic themes, vivid dialogue, and richly detailed characters. Among her best known novels are The Bluest Eye, Sula, Song of Solomon and Beloved. She also was commissioned to write the libretto for a new opera, Margaret Garner, first performed in 2005. She won the Pulitzer Prize in 1988 for Beloved and the Nobel Prize in 1993. On 29 May 2012, she received the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
1. IF THERE’S A BOOK YOU REALLY WANT TO READ, BUT IT HASN’T BEEN WRITTEN YET, THEN YOU MUST WRITE IT.
2. ALL WATER HAS A PERFECT MEMORY AND IS FOREVER TRYING TO GET BACK TO WHERE IT WAS.
3. FREEING YOURSELF WAS ONE THING; CLAIMING OWNERSHIP OF THAT FREED SELF WAS ANOTHER.
4. IF YOU’RE GOING TO HOLD SOMEONE DOWN YOU’RE GOING TO HAVE TO HOLD ON BY THE OTHER END OF THE CHAIN. YOU ARE CONFINED BY YOUR OWN REPRESSION.
5. AT SOME POINT IN LIFE THE WORLD’S BEAUTY BECOMES ENOUGH. YOU DON’T NEED TO PHOTOGRAPH, PAINT OR EVEN REMEMBER IT. IT IS ENOUGH.
6. IF THERE IS A BOOK THAT YOU WANT TO READ, BUT IT HASN’T BEEN WRITTEN YET, YOU MUST BE THE ONE TO WRITE IT.
7. BLACK BOYS BECAME CRIMINALIZED. I WAS IN CONSTANT DREAD FOR THEIR LIVES, BECAUSE THEY WERE TARGETS EVERYWHERE. THEY STILL ARE.
8. MY CHILDREN ARE DELIGHTFUL PEOPLE, WHOM I WOULD LOVE EVEN IF THEY WEREN’T MY CHILDREN.
9. I LIKE MARRIAGE. THE IDEA.
10. A LOT OF BLACK PEOPLE BELIEVE THAT JEWS IN THIS COUNTRY HAVE BECOME WHITE. THEY BEHAVE LIKE WHITE PEOPLE RATHER THAN JEWISH PEOPLE.
11. BLACK LITERATURE IS TAUGHT AS SOCIOLOGY, AS TOLERANCE, NOT AS A SERIOUS, RIGOROUS ART FORM.
12. LOVE IS OR IT AIN’T. THIN LOVE AIN’T LOVE AT ALL.
13. SOMEBODY HAS TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR BEING A LEADER.
14. I DON’T THINK A FEMALE RUNNING A HOUSE IS A PROBLEM, A BROKEN FAMILY. IT’S PERCEIVED AS ONE BECAUSE OF THE NOTION THAT A HEAD IS A MAN.