Thomas Jeffrey “Tom” Hanks (born July 9, 1956) is an American actor, producer, writer, and director. Hanks is best known for his roles in Big, A League of Their Own, Sleepless in Seattle, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, Saving Private Ryan, You’ve Got Mail, The Green Mile, Cast Away, Road to Perdition, Catch Me If You Can, The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, as well as animated films like the Toy Story film series, The Polar Express, and The Simpsons Movie.
He has earned and been nominated for numerous awards during his career, including winning a Golden Globe for Best Actor and an Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in Philadelphia and a Golden Globe, an Academy Award, a Screen Actors Guild Award, and a People’s Choice Award for Best Actor for his role in Forrest Gump, and earning the Stanley Kubrick Britannia Award for Excellence in Film from the BAFTAs in 2004.
1. IF IT WASN’T HARD, EVERYONE WOULD DO IT. IT’S THE HARD THAT MAKES IT GREAT.
2. AS LONG AS YOU AS AN INDIVIDUAL… CAN CONVINCE YOURSELF THAT IN ORDER TO MOVE FORWARD AS BEST YOU CAN YOU HAVE TO BE OPTIMISTIC, YOU CAN BE DESCRIBED AS ‘ONE OF THE FAITHFUL,’ ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO CAN SAY, ‘WELL, LOOK, SOMETHING’S GOING TO HAPPEN! LET’S JUST KEEP TRYING. LET’S NOT GIVE UP.
3. AS LONG AS YOU AS AN INDIVIDUAL… CAN CONVINCE YOURSELF THAT IN ORDER TO MOVE FORWARD AS BEST YOU CAN YOU HAVE TO BE OPTIMISTIC, YOU CAN BE DESCRIBED AS ‘ONE OF THE FAITHFUL,’ ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO CAN SAY, ‘WELL, LOOK, SOMETHING’S GOING TO HAPPEN! LET’S JUST KEEP TRYING. LET’S NOT GIVE UP.
4. FROM NOW ON WE LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE MAN HAS WALKED ON THE MOON. IT’S NOT A MIRACLE; WE JUST DECIDED TO GO.
5. BUT I ALSO THINK ALL OF THE GREAT STORIES IN LITERATURE DEAL WITH LONELINESS. SOMETIMES IT’S BY WAY OF HEARTBREAK, SOMETIMES IT’S BY WAY OF INJUSTICE, SOMETIMES IT’S BY WAY OF FATE. THERE’S AN INFINITE NUMBER OF WAYS TO EXAMINE IT.
6. AND I’M NOT APOLITICAL – I’M VERY SPECIFIC IN MY POLITICS. BUT A LOT OF THE TIME IT’S NOBODY’S BUSINESS UNLESS YOU’RE OVER AT MY HOUSE HAVING DINNER.
7. THERE’S A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOLITUDE AND LONELINESS. I CAN UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF BEING A MONK FOR A WHILE.
8. AS AN ACTOR I AM ALWAYS WAITING FOR MY LUCK TO RUN OUT.
9. BUT ACTORS WITH POLITICAL VIEWS ARE A DIME A DOZEN.
10. I’M NOT INTERESTED IN DOING SOMETHING EDGY WITH A CAPITAL E JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS, ‘OH, OK, NOW HE’S SHOWING US HE CAN DO EDGY.’
11. EVERYBODY HAS SOMETHING THAT CHEWS THEM UP AND, FOR ME, THAT THING WAS ALWAYS LONELINESS. THE CINEMA HAS THE POWER TO MAKE YOU NOT FEEL LONELY, EVEN WHEN YOU ARE.
12. E-MAIL IS FAR MORE CONVENIENT THAN THE TELEPHONE, AS FAR AS I’M CONCERNED. I WOULD THROW MY PHONE AWAY IF I COULD GET AWAY WITH IT.
13. MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT AND NOT WANT AS LONG AS YOU LIVE.
14. I UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF OPTIMISM. BUT I THINK WITH ME WHAT YOU GET IS A LACK OF CYNICISM.
15. I WOULD NOT WANT TO LIVE IN A COUNTRY THAT WOULD HAVE ME AS A LEADER IN ANY SORT OF POLITICAL BENT.
16. IF YOU HAVE TO HAVE A JOB IN THIS WORLD, A HIGH-PRICED MOVIE STAR IS A PRETTY GOOD GIG.
17. IF YOU LOOK AT ROMANTIC COMEDIES AS PIECES OF COMMERCE, THE AUDIENCE IS LOOKING FOR WISH FULFILLMENT.
18. I’VE MADE OVER 20 MOVIES, AND 5 OF THEM ARE GOOD.
19. HUMAN BEINGS DO THINGS FOR A REASON, EVEN IF SOMETIMES IT’S THE WRONG REASON.
20. PRIOR TO SAVING PRIVATE RYAN I NEVER WORKED WITH MEN. I WAS ALWAYS WORKING WITH SOME BABE, AND IT WAS ALWAYS ABOUT FALLING IN LOVE, AND IT JUST GOT TURNED AROUND. I’M NOT LOOKING FOR ANY PARTICULAR KIND OF STORY. I WAIT UNTIL IT COMES ACROSS MY DESK.
21. IF THEY COULD OFFER UP A WAY TO GO TO THE MOON THAT WOULDN’T KILL YOU, I’D SIGN UP.
22. I DON’T CAUSE RIOTS, BUT I DO CAUSE CONFUSION. PEOPLE FREEZE WHEN THEY SPOT ME.