Thomas Alva Edison (February 11, 1847 – October 18, 1931) was an American inventor and businessman. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and a long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed “The Wizard of Menlo Park” by a newspaper reporter, he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and because of that, he is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
1. MANY OF LIFE’S FAILURES ARE PEOPLE WHO DID NOT REALIZE HOW CLOSE THEY WERE TO SUCCESS WHEN THEY GAVE UP.
2. I HAVE NOT FAILED. I’VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON’T WORK.
3. WE OFTEN MISS OPPORTUNITY BECAUSE IT’S DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK.
4. GENIUS IS 1 PERCENT INSPIRATION AND 99 PERCENT PERSPIRATION.
5. IF WE ALL DID THE THINGS WE ARE CAPABLE OF, WE WOULD ASTOUND OURSELVES.
6. WHEN YOU HAVE EXHAUSTED ALL POSSIBILITIES, REMEMBER THIS – YOU HAVEN’T.
7. OUR GREATEST WEAKNESS LIES IN GIVING UP. THE MOST CERTAIN WAY TO SUCCEED IS TO TRY JUST ONE MORE TIME.
8. I HAVE FRIENDS IN OVERALLS WHOSE FRIENDSHIP I WOULD NOT SWAP FOR THE FAVOR OF THE KINGS OF THE WORLD.
9. JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING DOESN’T DO WHAT YOU PLANNED IT TO DO DOESN’T MEAN IT’S USELESS.
10. TO DO MUCH CLEAR THINKING A PERSON MUST ARRANGE FOR REGULAR PERIODS OF SOLITUDE WHEN THEY CAN CONCENTRATE AND INDULGE THE IMAGINATION WITHOUT DISTRACTION.
11. WE HAVE BUT TWO EARS AND ONE MOUTH SO THAT WE MAY LISTEN TWICE AS MUCH AS WE SPEAK.
12. I FIND OUT WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS. THEN I GO AHEAD AND TRY TO INVENT IT.
13. I NEVER DID ANYTHING WORTH DOING BY ACCIDENT, NOR DID ANY OF MY INVENTIONS COME BY ACCIDENT; THEY CAME BY WORK.
14. THERE IS NO EXPEDIENT TO WHICH A MAN WILL NOT GO TO AVOID THE REAL LABOR OF THINKING.
15. THE FIRST REQUISITE FOR SUCCESS IS THE ABILITY TO APPLY YOUR PHYSICAL AND MENTAL ENERGIES TO ONE PROBLEM INCESSANTLY WITHOUT GROWING WEARY.
16. GENIUS IS ONE PERCENT INSPIRATION AND NINETY-NINE PERCENT PERSPIRATION.