Shannon Ashley “Shay” Mitchell (born April 10, 1987) is a Canadian actress and model. She is best known for her role as Emily Fields in the ABC Family series Pretty Little Liars.
Mitchell was born in Mississauga, Ontario to a Filipino mother, Precious Garcia, and an Irish/Scottish father, Mark Mitchell. Mitchell also has Spanish lineage from both sides of her family. Her parents work in finance. Her mother, who is from Pampanga left the Philippines at age 19. She has one younger brother, Sean. She is a second cousin of Lea Salonga, singer and Tony Award-winning theater actress well known for originating the lead role of Kim in the musical Miss Saigon. Even as a young child, Mitchell was interested in performing arts, declaring to her parents that she would pursue such a career. Mitchell began dance lessons at the age of five, and she and several of her classmates toured the city to compete with a variety of other dance schools. At the age of 10, Mitchell’s family moved to Vancouver, British Columbia. Within a year of their arrival, an international modeling agency held an open casting call for teen and pre-teen girls who were vying for representation. Mitchell was one of the girls selected.
1. I REALIZED THAT BULLYING NEVER HAS TO DO WITH YOU. IT’S THE BULLY WHO’S INSECURE.
2. IN HIGH SCHOOL I WAS AN OUTCAST… I WASN’T COOL TO HANG OUT WITH. I ATE MY LUNCH IN A BATHROOM STALL BECAUSE THAT WAS THE ONE PLACE I COULD GO WHERE I WOULDN’T BEEN SEEN.
3. AMERICAN EAGLE CLOTHING IS STYLISH, FLATTERING AND ALL ABOUT EMBRACING YOUR INDIVIDUALITY.
4. I’LL NEVER TURN DOWN A RED VELVET CUPCAKE.
5. I AM A FOODIE. I’M NOT AFRAID TO SAY IT.
6. I HATE DIETING. LET’S JUST SAY THAT.
7. I GREW UP IN A PREDOMINANTLY CAUCASIAN COMMUNITY, AND MOST OF MY FRIENDS HAD BLONDE HAIR AND BLUE EYES. SO I WAS ALWAYS STRAIGHTENING MY HAIR, WEARING COLORED CONTACTS, AND I NEVER TANNED, IF I COULD HELP IT.
8. I SEE A CUTE GUY IN STARBUCKS AND I’M LIKE… ‘OH, OKAY,’ AND I WALK OUT. BUT WHO KNOWS? MAYBE I WILL ASK SOMEBODY ON A DATE SOON!
9. FOR EVERYDAY, REBECCA MINKOFF’S COLLECTION IS CHIC AND COMFORTABLE AT THE SAME TIME.
10. I’M READING A LOT OF DIFFERENT BOOKS, BUT I ALWAYS THINK I HAVE TO SWITCH IT UP A LITTLE BIT. IT’S LIKE FOOD – EVERYTHING IN MODERATION, SAME WITH MY BOOKS, SAME WITH MY READING. YOU READ BOOKS THAT ARE GOOD FOR YOU AND YOU LEARN A LOT OF STUFF, THEN YOU READ ‘FIFTY SHADES OF GREY,’ WHICH IS LIKE CANDY.
11. WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL, I WANTED TO BE A COUNSELOR AND I WANTED TO WORK WITH KIDS. I’VE BEEN THROUGH THE WORST OF HIGH SCHOOL. AND I WANT TO MOTIVATE PEOPLE TO LIVE THE BEST LIFE THAT THEY CAN, BECAUSE WE’RE ONLY HERE FOR ONE LIFE.
12. I’D DEFINE MY EVERYDAY STYLE AS PUT TOGETHER, BUT ALSO COMFORTABLE. A GREAT PAIR OF JEANS AND A CUTE TOP CAN BE SO VERSATILE.
13. I’M MORE COMFORTABLE IN HEELS THAN I AM IN SNEAKERS.
14. BEING SINGLE IS NOT AS BAD AS EVERYONE LIKES TO MAKE IT SEEM!
15. FOR MY PROM I REALLY WANTED TO WEAR A BRIGHT COLOR – SOMETHING THAT WAS GOING TO POP AND STAND OUT.
16. TAKE THAT ONE THING YOU DON’T LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF AND MORE OFTEN THAN NOT THAT’S THE ONE THING THAT MAKES YOU MORE SPECIAL. WHETHER IT’S THAT GAP IN YOUR TEETH, OR THAT MOLE YOU NEVER LIKED, OR YOUR SKIN COLOR.
17. I WAS DATING MY FIRST BOYFRIEND IN HIGH SCHOOL FOR A LONG TIME, AND WE BROKE UP BEFORE PROM. I HADN’T MET ANYONE ELSE THAT I REALLY WANTED TO GO WITH, AND MY FRIENDS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AMAZING. SO I WENT WITH MY FRIENDS AND GOT A MILLION PHOTOS WITH THEM!
18. I’M A HUGE PASTA AND PIZZA LOVER. I CAN EAT THOSE EVERY SINGLE DAY.
19. IF YOU CAN MAKE ME LAUGH, MY HEART IS YOURS! I THINK THERE’S NOTHING MORE ATTRACTIVE THAN SOMEONE WHO DOESN’T TAKE THEMSELVES TOO SERIOUSLY.
20. THE CRAZIEST THING I’VE DONE GETTING OVER LOVE IS SKYDIVING. I HAD A REALLY UPSETTING BREAKUP. WHEN I BROKE UP WITH MY BOYFRIEND I NEEDED TO LIKE DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT AND SO I ACTUALLY WENT SKYDIVING TO TURN OVER A NEW PAGE.
21. I FEEL SO GOOD AFTER A WORKOUT. ANY TIME YOU CAN BE ALONE WITH YOURSELF IS REALLY IMPORTANT.
22. THERE’S NOTHING WORSE THAN SEEING SOMEONE CHEWING GUM ON THE RED CARPET!
23. ONE OF THE CAUSES CLOSE TO ME IS HUMAN TRAFFICKING, AND I WAS FIRST AWARE OF IT WHEN I WAS MODELING IN THAILAND. I CAME HOME TO CANADA AND DID MORE RESEARCH AND FOUND OUT HOW BIG THE PROBLEM WAS.
24. YOU LIE WHEN YOU’RE A TEENAGER, I THINK, BECAUSE YOUR PARENTS ARE TREATING YOU LIKE YOU’RE YOUNGER AND YOU – IN YOUR MIND – THINK THAT YOU’RE SO MUCH OLDER. YOU MAKE UP ALL OF THESE LIES BECAUSE YOU THINK IT’S WHAT YOU SHOULD DO.