Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dalí i Domènech, 1st Marqués de Dalí de Pubol (May 11, 1904 – January 23, 1989), known as Salvador Dalí , was a prominent Spanish surrealist painter born in Figueres, Spain.
Dalí was a skilled draftsman, best known for the striking and bizarre images in his surrealist work. His painterly skills are often attributed to the influence of Renaissance masters. His best-known work, The Persistence of Memory, was completed in 1931. Dalí’s expansive artistic repertoire included film, sculpture, and photography, in collaboration with a range of artists in a variety of media.
Dalí attributed his “love of everything that is gilded and excessive, my passion for luxury and my love of oriental clothes” to a self-styled “Arab lineage”, claiming that his ancestors were descended from the Moors.
Dalí was highly imaginative, and also enjoyed indulging in unusual and grandiose behavior. His eccentric manner and attention-grabbing public actions sometimes drew more attention than his artwork, to the dismay of those who held his work in high esteem, and to the irritation of his critics.
1. THE SECRET OF MY INFLUENCE HAS ALWAYS BEEN THAT IT REMAINED SECRET.
2. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ME AND A MADMAN IS I’M NOT MAD.
3. HAVE NO FEAR OF PERFECTION – YOU’LL NEVER REACH IT.
4. I DON’T DO DRUGS. I AM DRUGS.
5. AN ELEGANT WOMAN IS A WOMAN WHO DESPISES YOU AND HAS NO HAIR UNDER HER ARMS.
6. EACH MORNING WHEN I AWAKE, I EXPERIENCE AGAIN A SUPREME PLEASURE: THAT OF BEING SALVADOR DALI.
7. A TRUE ARTIST IS NOT ONE WHO IS INSPIRES, BUT ONE WHO INSPIRES OTHERS.
8. SURREALISM IS DESTRUCTIVE, BUT IT DESTROYS ONLY WHAT IT CONSIDERS TO BE SHACKLES LIMITING OUR VISION.
9. TAKE ME, I AM THE DRUG; TAKE ME, I AM HALLUCINOGENIC.
10. LET MY ENEMIES DEVOUR EACH OTHER.
11. DRAWING IS THE HONESTY OF THE ART. THERE IS NO POSSIBILITY OF CHEATING: IT IS EITHER GOOD AR BAD.
12. EVERYONE SHOULD EAT HASHISH, BUT ONLY ONCE.
13. THERE ARE SOME DAYS WHEN I THINK I’M GOING TO DIE FROM AN OVERDOSE OF SATISFACTION.
14. THIS GRANDIOSE TRAGEDY THAT WE CALL MODERN ART.
15. WHEN I PAINT, THE SEA ROARS
OTHERS SPLASH ABOUT IN THE BATH.
16. HAVE NO FEAR OF PERFECTION – YOU’LL NEVER REACH IT.
17. EVERYTHING ALTERS ME, BUT NOTHING CHANGES ME.
18. WE ARE ALL HUNGRY AND THIRSTY FOR CONCRETE IMAGES. ABSTRACT ART WILL HAVE BEEN GOOD FOR ONE THING: TO RESTORE ITS EXACT VIRGINITY TO FIGURATIVE ART.
19. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY, WHEN I ASK FOR GRILLED LOBSTER IN A RESTAURANT, I’M NEVER SERVED A COOKED TELEPHONE.