Robert Anthony Rodríguez (born June 20, 1968) is an American film director, screenwriter, producer, cinematographer, editor and musician. He shoots and produces many of his films in his native Texas and Mexico. He has directed such films as Desperado, From Dusk Till Dawn, The Faculty, Sharkboy and Lavagirl, Spy Kids, Sin City, Planet Terror, and Machete. He is a friend and frequent collaborator of filmmaker Quentin Tarantino.
While attending St. Anthony High School, he was commissioned to videotape the school’s football games. According to his sister he was fired soon after for shooting them with a cinematic style, getting shots of parents’ reactions and the ball traveling through the air instead of shooting the whole play. There he met Carlos Gallardo; they both shot films on video throughout high school and college. After graduating Rodriguez went to the College of Communication at the University of Texas where he also developed a love of cartooning. His grades were not high enough to get into the school’s film program, so he invented a daily comic strip entitled Los Hooligans with many of the characters based on his siblings – in particular, one of his sisters, Maricarmen. The comic proved to be quite successful, running for three years in the student newspaper The Daily Texan while Rodríguez continued to make short films.
1. ALL YOUR DREAMS CAN COME TRUE. IT’S NOT EASY BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE EITHER.
2. WHEN GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY, DELIVER EXCELLENCE AND NEVER QUIT.
3. DON’T BE TOLD SOMETHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. THERE’S ALWAYS A WAY.
4. DON’T GIVE ME ANY MONEY, DON’T GIVE ME ANY PEOPLE, BUT GIVE FREEDOM, AND I’LL GIVE YOU A MOVIE THAT LOOKS GIGANTIC.
5. I HOPE TO HAVE MORE CONTROL OVER THAT IN THE FUTURE.
6. THE ADVENTURES OF SHARK BOY & LAVA GIRL IN 3-D.
7. IF EVERYONE WAS GOING TO JUMP ON BOARD AFTER THE BUSINESS SIDE OF THINGS WERE TAKEN CARE OF, I WOULD BE DELIGHTED TO DO IT.
8. THEY SAID THAT THEY CUT RODRIGUEZ, AND I HAD TO ASK, ‘WHICH ONE?’
9. LEONARD BERNSTEIN WAS A TRUE AMERICAN HERO,… HE COULD DO ANYTHING. HE WAS A COMPOSER, A CONDUCTOR AND A CONCERT PIANIST.
10. I HAVE ALL THE CREATIVE FREEDOM OF SOMEONE MAKING A HOME MOVIE, BUT I GET TO DO IT ON A LARGER SCALE. IT’S THE BEST.
11. THEY HAVE THE NECESSARY ABUNDANCE OF FOOD AND THE NON-DISTURBANCE THEY NEED TO BREED, TO PROCREATE AND TO THRIVE IN THIS AREA.
12. WE’VE FOCUSED ON RETAILERS THAT WE WOULD CALL CATEGORY KILLERS.
13. MY FATHER DID NOT WANT US TO HAVE AN ACCENT. IT WAS A DIFFERENT ERA THAN IT IS TODAY, WHERE HAVING A SECOND LANGUAGE IS A COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE.
14. WE WILL NOT RISK OUR CLIENTS CAPITAL.
15. IT’S COST ME AND MY FIRM A LOT AF MONEY. BUT RAPID GROWTH LEADS TO POOR DECISION MAKING.
16. I LIKE THINGS THAT ARE GETTING TRASHED, HATED.
17. THESE PEOPLE HAVE DONE IT OVER FOUR OR FIVE DECADES. IT MEANS THEY’VE HAD TO DEAL WITH MANY CHALLENGES.
18. IT’S MORE OF A PSYCHOLOGICAL EVENT THAN AN ECONOMIC EVENT.
19. WE TRY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OTHER INVESTORS EMOTIONAL OR IRRATIONAL REACTIONS.
20. IT WAS A TALE OF TWO PERIODS– BEFORE SEPT. 17 AND AFTERWARDS.
21. THIS IS ONE OF THOSE PERIODS OF TIME WHERE YOU CAN HAVE TWO DIFFERENT STYLES AT AN INTERSECTION. THIS YEAR COULD BE A CROSSROADS.
22. IT’S A WAY OF BRIDGING THE GAP BETWEEN THE SEXES, INCOME STRATA AND EVEN MANAGEMENT LEVELS, TO A DEGREE.
23. WE’VE TRYING TO WAKE UP THE LITTLE GIANT THAT WE HAVE HERE IN GILROY. WE WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHO WE ARE.