Penn Dayton Badgley (born November 1, 1986) is an American actor, known for his role as Dan Humphrey on The CW’s series Gossip Girl. Badgley has also starred in a number of films, including John Tucker Must Die, The Stepfather, Easy A, Margin Call, and Greetings from Tim Buckley.
Badgley was born in Baltimore, Maryland, the son of Lynne Murphy and Duff Badgley, who worked as a newspaper reporter and also a carpenter; Duff was the Green Party candidate for governor of Washington state in 2008. His parents divorced when he was twelve. Badgley split his childhood years between Woodlake, Virginia and Seattle, Washington. He attended Woolridge Elementary, where his mother, became PTA president before he transferred to the honors program at St. Christophers School. He enjoyed playing youth soccer, where his father coached. He attended Charles Wright Academy in Tacoma, Washington, and was involved with the Seattle Children’s Theatre. He soon began doing voice-overs for children’s radio stations.
1. YOU KNOW, AS AN ONLY CHILD, YOU’RE KIND OF IN A BUBBLE, AND THERE ARE ALL SORTS OF THINGS ABOUT MY CHILDHOOD THAT I STILL CAN’T REALLY PLACE.
2. I WANT TO BE AN ACTOR – I DON’T WANT TO BE A CELEBRITY. THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS, AND PEOPLE HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT THEY ARE DIFFERENT.
3. WHEN YOU COME TO L.A. AS A KID WITH YOUR MOM, YOU’RE LURED INTO DOING THINGS THAT YOU THINK ARE COOL AND FUN AND A GOOD IDEA, BUT THEY’RE CHEESY AND AWFUL. AND RECORDING A POP SINGLE WAS ONE OF THEM.
4. I REALIZE I STARE AT EVERYONE, ESPECIALLY WHEN I’M WALKING DOWN THE STREET. I’M JUST A CURIOUS PERSON.
5. FOR A WHILE I DIDN’T BELIEVE IN MARRIAGE. BUT I THINK I DO BELIEVE IN HAVING A LOVE. I’M NOT SAYING ONLY ONE LOVE EVER, BUT IN HAVING A GOOD, SOLID RELATIONSHIP. I THINK THAT’S POSSIBLE.
6. LIKE, IF YOU ARE A CELEBRITY, THEN ANYONE WILL LET YOU BE IN A FILM OR ON A TV SHOW, AND IF YOU’RE AN ACTOR, CHANCES ARE IF YOU ARE SUCCESSFUL, YOU ARE BECOMING A CELEBRITY.
7. THE ‘GOSSIP GIRL’ IDEA AND IDEOLOGIES, LIKE, THEY SORT OF ENCOURAGE THIS CERTAIN KIND OF, LIKE, MATERIALISM AND SUPERFICIALITY THAT ISN’T, I WOULD SAY, THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD.
8. I GUESS I NEVER REALLY HAD A HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE. I WENT FOR ABOUT A MONTH, AND ON THE FIRST DAY ONE OF MY FRIENDS GOT PUNCHED IN THE EYE. IT WAS SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I WASN’T THERE FOR LONG.
9. I THINK PINEAPPLE IS VERY SEXY. IT REMINDS ME OF BIKINIS AND THE BEACH.
10. I DON’T BELIEVE IN AUDITIONING. I’M A BAD AUDITIONER. I DON’T LIKE IT.
11. MONEY IS… I’M VERY CONSCIOUS OF IT BECAUSE I HAVE IT. IT’S POWERFUL, MAN. IT CAN CHANGE YOU EVER SO SLIGHTLY, EVER SO SLOWLY, AND ALL OF A SUDDEN YOU’RE ADDICTED TO A MILLION-DOLLAR LIFESTYLE AND YOU’VE GOT NO CHOICE BUT TO MAKE A BAD MOVIE.
12. I’VE ALWAYS LOVED MUSIC. I LISTEN TO MUSIC THE WAY A LOT OF ACTORS WATCH MOVIES.
13. I COULDN’T DATE SOMEONE WHO DIDN’T LIKE DOGS. THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE, BUT I FIND THAT IF SOMEONE DOESN’T LIKE ANIMALS, I AM A LITTLE SUSPICIOUS OF THEM.