Paul Edward Valentine Giamatti ( born June 6, 1967) is an American actor. Giamatti began his career as a supporting actor in several films produced during the 1990s including Private Parts, The Truman Show, Saving Private Ryan, The Negotiator, and Man on the Moon, before earning lead roles in several projects in the 2000s such as American Splendor, Sideways, Cinderella Man, The Illusionist, John Adams, Cold Souls, Barney’s Version, and Win Win.
Giamatti, the youngest of three children, was born in New Haven, Connecticut. His father, Angelo Bartlett Giamatti, was a Yale University professor who later became president of the university, and commissioner of Major League Baseball. His mother, Toni Marilyn (née Smith), was a homemaker and English teacher who taught at Hopkins School and had also previously acted.
1. YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY FREE TO DESCRIBE ME AS A TURTLE OR SOMETHING.
2. AS AN ACTOR, TO HAVE ACHIEVED FINANCIAL STABILITY IS AMAZING. BUT I ALWAYS HAVE THIS WEIRD FEAR THAT I’M NOT GOING TO GET ANY MORE WORK; IT’S ABOUT NOT HAVING ENOUGH MONEY.
3. ACTING CAN BE A REALLY SILLY THING. IT’S LIKE PLAYING DRESS-UP.
4. AM I REALLY COOL? YOU’RE TELLING ME I’M COOL? WELL, THAT’S GOOD TO HEAR.
5. I DEFINITELY HAD A TOP-NOTCH EDUCATION.
6. I DON’T MIND TALKING ABOUT ACTING. I DON’T HAVE ANYTHING INTERESTING TO SAY ABOUT IT, BUT IT’S INTERESTING TALKING ABOUT IT.
7. I LEARNED HOW TO FIRE A SNIPER RIFLE, WHICH I’M SURE WILL BE USEFUL AT SOME POINT.
8. I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE ANY PARTICULAR CAREER IN MOVIES AT ALL.
9. I’VE GOT TO BE THE GEEKIEST GUY IN THE WORLD IN A LOT OF WAYS. I’M LIKE A ZETA MALE.
10. I’M NOT A BIG WINE GUY. AND BARS, I NEVER GO TO BARS ANYMORE. IT’S SUCH A DRAG, MAN.
11. I MEAN, I’M NOT GOING TO PLAY THE HERO OF SOMETHING.
12. I LIKE PLAYING WEIRD, KIND OF SHADY PEOPLE.
13. I GET TIRED OF MYSELF PRETTY FAST.
14. I DEFINITELY HAVE A TENDENCY TO ONLY SEE THE BLEMISHES OF THINGS, AND SEE LOTS OF THINGS ABOUT MY ACTING THAT I DON’T LIKE.
15. ACADEMIA IS A RARIFIED CULTURE, ESPECIALLY AN IVY LEAGUE ACADEMIC BACKGROUND.
16. THIS WHOLE BUSINESS FEELS KIND OF INTENSE, LIKE A BAD FIT. ROUND PEG, SQUARE HOLE. BUT WHATEVER, I’LL TAKE IT.
17. I’M CLEARLY NOT BRAD PITT, AND I’M NEVER GOING TO BE BRAD PITT.
18. I FIND THAT THE CRAZY NARCISSISTS, THE SELFISH LOONS ARE OFTEN THE MOST FUN TO BE AROUND, WEIRDLY.
19. I SUPPOSE THERE MUST BE SOME WAY IN WHICH I’M COMPELLED TO SHOW SOME SIDE OF MYSELF – OR OF PEOPLE – THAT’S PARANOID AND FRAUGHT AND BELEAGUERED AND DOWNTRODDEN, JUST AS TOM CRUISE WANTS TO SHOW THAT HE’S TERRIFYINGLY UPBEAT AND TERRIFYINGLY HEROIC ALL THE TIME.
20. THE SUPPORTING THING CAN BE HARDER TO POP IN AND OUT OF. THE HARDEST THING IS THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE TO COME IN AND PLAY, SAY, THE BARTENDER FOR A DAY – THAT’S A LOT HARDER THAN PLAYING THE LEAD ROLE. YOU HAVE TO POP IN AND GET IT RIGHT. IT’S A LOT OF PRESSURE TO JUST POP IN THERE AND FIT IN AND FIND YOUR FOOTING REALLY FAST.
21. I DON’T CONSIDER MYSELF A VERY INTERESTING PERSON. I HAVE THE MENTALITY OF A SUPPORTING ACTOR.
22. I DON’T THINK FILM ACTORS NEED TRAINING, REALLY.
23. I HAVE THE MENTALITY OF A SUPPORTING ACTOR.
24. I LIKE TO WORK – I PROBABLY WORK TOO MUCH.
25. I STILL WANT TO BE THE GUY WHO CAN GET ON THE SUBWAY AND CHECK OUT THE FREAK ON THE SUBWAY.