Melissa Ann McCarthy (born August 26, 1970) is an American film and television actress, comedian, writer and producer.
McCarthy first gained recognition for her role as Sookie St. James on the television series Gilmore Girls. She worked in this supporting role from 2000 to 2007. On the ABC sitcom Samantha Who? she portrayed Dena from 2007 to 2009. McCarthy was then cast as Molly Flynn-Biggs on the CBS sitcom Mike & Molly, a role that earned her an Emmy Award, as well as another subsequent nomination. McCarthy was also nominated for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for her work as host on Saturday Night Live.
1. TO ME, HAVING 500 ROLLS OF FABRIC AROUND IS THE MOST CALMING THING IN THE WORLD. I THINK IT’S WHAT FOOTBALL IS TO SOME GUYS.
2. AS A TEENAGER I WENT ALL GOTH, BUT I WASN’T MOPEY ENOUGH. I WOULD PRETEND TO BE, BUT I’D END UP MAKING PEOPLE LAUGH.
3. I’M REALLY HAPPY IN MY LIFE.
4. I’VE NEVER BEEN INTERESTED IN PLAYING THE BORING INGENUE.
5. PART OF BEING YOUNG IS YOU THINK GAINING 6 LBS. IS THE END OF THE WORLD.
6. MY BACK WAS JUST DESTROYED AFTER PREGNANCY. I ALMOST HAD TO HAVE SURGERY, UNTIL I DID PILATES AND REBUILT MY BODY.
7. I JUST DON’T LOSE WEIGHT EASILY.
8. I WATCH HGTV LIKE A MANIAC, AND WHEN IT’S BAD, IT’S LIKE SOME CRAZY COLLEGE GUY WATCHING A FOOTBALL GAME.
9. I’VE ALWAYS HAD MOSTLY GAY MALE FRIENDS.
10. I’M VERY BORING.
11. I THINK THE REASON I’M AN ACTRESS IS BECAUSE I LOVE PLAYING KIND OF A MORE EXTREME PEOPLE.
12. I BELIEVE IN HEAVEN. I DON’T BELIEVE THAT THIS IS IT, AND THEN WE’RE DONE.
13. I WENT TO SCHOOL FOR CLOTHING AND TEXTILES AND THOUGHT THIS IS WHAT I WAS GOING TO DO. THEN I STARTED WORKING IN COSTUMES AND LITERALLY SAID, ‘I DON’T KNOW IF I CAN TAKE THE ACTORS.’
14. ONCE YOU START WRITING A CHARACTER VISUALLY, YOU’RE IN TROUBLE.
15. COMEDY TO ME IS ALL ABOUT THE BUMPS AND BRUISES AND WEIRD TICS.
16. WHEN I BELIEVE IN SOMETHING, I’M LIKE A DOG WITH A BONE.
17. I’M ALWAYS TINKERING WITH SOMETHING – SUDDENLY I’LL THINK I CAN WORK WITH WOOD, BUT THEN I’LL REALIZE I CAN’T, SO I GO BACK TO SEWING.