Matthew David McConaughey ( born November 4, 1969) is an American actor. He first gained notice for his breakout role in the coming of age comedy Dazed and Confused (1993), and went on to appear in films such as the slasher Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1994), the legal thriller A Time to Kill (1996), Steven Spielberg’s historical drama Amistad (1997), the science fiction drama Contact (1997), the comedy EDtv (1999) and the war film U-571 (2000).
In the 2000s, he became best known for starring in romantic comedies, including The Wedding Planner (2001), How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003), Failure to Launch (2006), “Fool’s Gold” (2008) and Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (2009). Since 2010 he has moved away from romantic comedies and has had roles in the films The Lincoln Lawyer (2011), Bernie (2011), Killer Joe (2011), The Paperboy (2012), Mud (2012), Magic Mike (2012) and The Wolf of Wall Street (2013). He achieved further success in 2013 for portraying a cowboy diagnosed with AIDS in the biographical film Dallas Buyers Club, which earned him the Academy Award for Best Actor and Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Drama, among other awards and nominations. He also starred in the acclaimed 2014 HBO crime anthology series True Detective. In April 2014, Time magazine included McConaughey in its annual TIME 100 as one of the “Most Influential People in the World.”
1. THERE AREN’T MANY THINGS THAT ARE UNIVERSALLY COOL, AND IT’S COOL NOT TO LITTER. I’D NEVER DO IT.
2. MAN WHO INVENTED THE HAMBURGER WAS SMART; MAN WHO INVENTED THE CHEESEBURGER WAS A GENIUS.
3. WE HAVE A BIG APPETITE FOR PUTTING PEOPLE DOWN BUT, AT THE HEART OF EVERYONE, THERE’S ENOUGH ROOM FOR ALL OF US TO SUCCEED.
4. I DON’T WANT TO JUST REVOLVE. I WANT TO EVOLVE. AS A MAN, AS A HUMAN, AS A FATHER, AS A LOVER.
5. THE MALE IS ALWAYS THE PAWN IN A ROMANTIC COMEDY. COME TOGETHER, BREAK UP, GO CHASE HER, GET HER, ROLL CREDITS. THAT’S WHAT HAPPENS IN ALL OF THEM.
6. I DON’T DABBLE AND SPEND MUCH MIND OR TIME DEALING WITH, I DON’T KNOW, PEOPLE’S PERCEPTIONS OF ME. I TRULY DON’T.
7. I WILL SAY THIS: ONE OF THE THINGS THAT IS A PAIN WHEN YOU’RE EXPECTING CHILDREN IS HOW MUCH ADVICE UNSOLICITED PEOPLE GIVE YOU WHEN YOU’RE NOT ASKING FOR IT.
8. I’VE NEVER BEEN A JEALOUS PERSON, AND I’VE NEVER FELT BUILT UP BY SOMEONE ELSE’S FAILURE – THAT’S A CHEAP THRILL.
9. GOOD IDEAS ARE FREE – OR AT LEAST THEY SHOULD BE.
10. ABSOLUTELY NOT. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH COMMITMENT. IN FACT, I LOVE HAVING SOMEONE IN MY LIFE.
11. WHEN I SEE GRACE IN A WOMAN, THAT’S VERY SEXY. YOU CAN TELL BY HOW SOMEONE MOVES OR THEIR RHYTHM.
12. I SAY TO THE PAPARAZZI, ‘FELLAS, TAKE YOUR SHOT AND GO.’ IT’S JUST THEY USUALLY FIND ME ON A BEACH.
13. WHEN YOU HAVE GOOD FRIENDS YOU’VE BEEN AROUND, EVERY TIME THEY TALK, YOU DON’T GIVE THEM YOUR FULL ATTENTION. YOU DON’T LOOK THEM IN THE EYE AND STOP. HALF THE TIME, YOU’RE LISTENING, HALF THE TIME, YOU ARE IGNORING THEM.
14. I LOVE HAVING MY HANDS IN THE DIRT. IT IS NEVER A SCIENCE AND ALWAYS AN ART. THERE ARE NO RULES. AND IF IT COMES DOWN TO ME VERSUS THAT WEED I’M TRYING TO PULL OUT OF THE GROUND THAT DOESN’T WANT TO COME OUT? I KNOW I’LL WIN.
15. WATER’S NEVER CLUMSY.
16. STARTING AT ABOUT, I GUESS, FOREVER, I’VE ALWAYS LOOKED FORWARD TO GETTING OLDER. WHEN I WAS 14, I COULDN’T WAIT TO BE 16 AND GET A DRIVER’S LICENSE.
17. THERE’S A DIFFERENCE IN THINKING YOU ARE A CHAMPION AND KNOWING THAT YOU ARE.
18. NOW, YOU LOSE SOMETHING IN YOUR LIFE, OR YOU COME INTO A CONFLICT, AND THERE’S GONNA COME A TIME THAT YOU’RE GONNA KNOW: THERE WAS A REASON FOR THAT. AND AT THE END OF YOUR LIFE, ALL THE THINGS YOU THOUGHT WERE PERIODS, THEY TURN OUT TO BE COMMAS. THERE WAS NEVER A FULL STOP IN ANY OF IT.
19. I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A FATHER AND THOUGHT IT WOULD BE GREAT, BUT IT JUST TOOK THE RIGHT WOMAN AND THE RIGHT TIME TO MAKE IT ALL HAPPEN.
20. LIFE IS A SERIES OF COMMAS, NOT PERIODS.
21. SURE, I CAN GET A LITTLE BIT JEALOUS. THE GOOD PART ABOUT JEALOUSY IS THAT IT COMES FROM PASSION. IT’S ALSO THE DANGEROUS PART AND IT’S AN UGLY EMOTION THAT HURTS.
22. A CREEP IS SOMEONE WHO CLAIMS HE’S ONE THING BUT HE’S ACTUALLY ANOTHER.
23. I TALK TO MYSELF ALL THE TIME. JUST MAKE SURE YOU ANSWER.
24. CAMERAS AREN’T GUNS. THEY CAN’T REALLY HURT YOU.