Mark Elliot Zuckerberg (born May 14, 1984) is an American computer programmer and internet entrepreneur. He is best known as one of five co-founders of the social networking website Facebook. As of April 2013, Zuckerberg is the chairman and chief executive of Facebook, Inc. and in September 2013 his personal wealth was estimated to be US$19 billion.
Together with his college roommates and fellow Harvard University students Eduardo Saverin, Andrew McCollum, Dustin Moskovitz and Chris Hughes, Zuckerberg launched Facebook from Harvard’s dormitory rooms. The group then introduced Facebook onto other campuses nationwide and moved to Palo Alto, California, United States (U.S.) shortly afterwards. In 2007, at the age of 23, Zuckerberg became a billionaire as a result of Facebook and the number of Facebook users worldwide reached a total of one billion in 2012. Zuckerberg was involved in various legal disputes that were initiated by others in the group, who claimed a share of the company based upon their involvement during the development phase of Facebook.
1. THE BIGGEST RISK IS NOT TAKING ANY RISK… IN A WORLD THAT CHANGING REALLY QUICKLY, THE ONLY STRATEGY THAT IS GUARANTEED TO FAIL IS NOT TAKING RISKS.
2. A SQUIRREL DYING IN FRONT OF YOUR HOUSE MAY BE MORE RELEVANT TO YOUR INTERESTS RIGHT NOW THAN PEOPLE DYING IN AFRICA.
3. BY GIVING PEOPLE THE POWER TO SHARE, WE’RE MAKING THE WORLD MORE TRANSPARENT.
4. RIGHT NOW, WITH SOCIAL NETWORKS AND OTHER TOOLS ON THE INTERNET, ALL OF THESE 500 MILLION PEOPLE HAVE A WAY TO SAY WHAT THEY’RE THINKING AND HAVE THEIR VOICE BE HEARD.
5. THE THING THAT WE ARE TRYING TO DO AT FACEBOOK, IS JUST HELP PEOPLE CONNECT AND COMMUNICATE MORE EFFICIENTLY.
6. I THINK A SIMPLE RULE OF BUSINESS IS, IF YOU DO THE THINGS THAT ARE EASIER FIRST, THEN YOU CAN ACTUALLY MAKE A LOT OF PROGRESS.
7. I THINK THAT PEOPLE JUST HAVE THIS CORE DESIRE TO EXPRESS WHO THEY ARE. AND I THINK THAT’S ALWAYS EXISTED.
8. THE QUESTION ISN’T, ‘WHAT DO WE WANT TO KNOW ABOUT PEOPLE?’, IT’S, ‘WHAT DO PEOPLE WANT TO TELL ABOUT THEMSELVES?’
9. I DON’T HAVE AN ALARM CLOCK. IF SOMEONE NEEDS TO WAKE ME UP, THEN I HAVE MY BLACKBERRY NEXT TO ME.
10. OUR GOAL IS NOT TO BUILD A PLATFORM; IT’S TO BE CROSS ALL OF THEM.
11. MOVE FAST AND BREAK THINGS. UNLESS YOU ARE BREAKING STUFF, YOU ARE NOT MOVING FAST ENOUGH.
12. MOBILE IS A LOT CLOSER TO TV THAN IT IS TO DESKTOP.
13. THE BASIS OF OUR PARTNERSHIP STRATEGY AND OUR PARTNERSHIP APPROACH: WE BUILD THE SOCIAL TECHNOLOGY. THEY PROVIDE THE MUSIC.
14. I LOOK AT GOOGLE AND THINK THEY HAVE A STRONG ACADEMIC CULTURE. ELEGANT SOLUTIONS TO COMPLEX PROBLEMS.
15. AT FACEBOOK, WE BUILD TOOLS TO HELP PEOPLE CONNECT WITH THE PEOPLE THEY WANT AND SHARE WHAT THEY WANT, AND BY DOING THIS WE ARE EXTENDING PEOPLE’S CAPACITY TO BUILD AND MAINTAIN RELATIONSHIPS.
16. ALL OF MY FRIENDS WHO HAVE YOUNGER SIBLINGS WHO ARE GOING TO COLLEGE OR HIGH SCHOOL – MY NUMBER ONE PIECE OF ADVICE IS: YOU SHOULD LEARN HOW TO PROGRAM.
17. FACEBOOK WAS NOT ORIGINALLY CREATED TO BE A COMPANY. IT WAS BUILT TO ACCOMPLISH A SOCIAL MISSION – TO MAKE THE WORLD MORE OPEN AND CONNECTED.
18. I UPDATED MY GRILLING APP, IGRILL, TODAY AND IT NOW HAS FACEBOOK INTEGRATION THAT LETS YOU SEE WHAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE GRILLING RIGHT NOW AROUND THE WORLD. AWESOME.
19. I STARTED THE SITE WHEN I WAS 19. I DIDN’T KNOW MUCH ABOUT BUSINESS BACK THEN.
20. WHEN YOU GIVE EVERYONE A VOICE AND GIVE PEOPLE POWER, THE SYSTEM USUALLY ENDS UP IN A REALLY GOOD PLACE. SO, WHAT WE VIEW OUR ROLE AS, IS GIVING PEOPLE THAT POWER.
21. I DO EVERYTHING ON MY PHONE AS A LOT OF PEOPLE DO.
22. PEOPLE AT FACEBOOK ARE FAIRLY USED TO THE PRESS BEING NICE TO US OR NOT NICE TO US.
23. THE ONLY MEAT I EAT IS FROM ANIMALS I’VE KILLED MYSELF.
24. THE COMPANIES THAT WORK ARE THE ONES THAT PEOPLE REALLY CARE ABOUT AND HAVE A VISION FOR THE WORLD SO DO SOMETHING YOU LIKE.
25. WHAT REALLY MOTIVATES PEOPLE AT FACEBOOK IS BUILDING STUFF THAT THEY’RE PROUD OF.
26. WE’RE RUNNING THE COMPANY TO SERVE MORE PEOPLE.