Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910), better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is most noted for his novels, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876), and its sequel, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), the latter often called “the Great American Novel.”
Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also worked as a typesetter and contributed articles to his older brother Orion’s newspaper. After toiling as a printer in various cities, he became a master riverboat pilot on the Mississippi River before heading west to join Orion. He was a failure at gold mining, so he next turned to journalism. While a reporter, he wrote a humorous story, “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County,” which became very popular and brought nationwide attention. His travelogues were also well received. Twain had found his calling.
1. ALWAYS DO RIGHT. THIS WILL GRATIFY SOME PEOPLE AND ASTONISH THE REST.
2. A MAN CANNOT BE COMFORTABLE WITHOUT HIS OWN APPROVAL.
3. IF YOU TELL TRUTH, YOU DON’T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING.
4. NEVER PUT OFF UNTIL TOMORROW WHAT YOU CAN DO THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW.
5. I HAVE NEVER LET MY SCHOOLING INTERFERE WITH MY EDUCATION.
6. GO TO HEAVEN FOR THE CLIMATE AND HELL FOR THE COMPANY.
7. BE CAREFUL ABOUT READING HEALTH BOOKS. YOU MAY DIE OF A MISPRINT.
8. NEVER TELL THE TRUTH TO PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT WORTHY OF IT.
9. I WAS GRATIFIED TO BE ABLE TO ANSWER PROMPTLY, AND I DID. I SAID I DIDN’T KNOW.
10. WRINKLES SHOULD MERELY INDICATE WHERE THE SMILES HAVE BEEN.
11. LOYALTY TO COUNTRY ALWAYS. LOYALTY TO GOVERNMENT, WHEN IT DESERVES IT.
12. GOD CREATED WAR SO THAT AMERICANS WOULD LEARN GEOGRAPHY.
13. I DID NOT ATTEND HIS FUNERAL, BUT I SENT A NICE LETTER SAYING I APPROVED OF IT.
14. NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION.
15. BOOKS ARE FOR PEOPLE WHO WISH THEY WERE SOMEWHERE ELSE.
16. WHAT WOULD MEN BE WITHOUT WOMEN? SCARCE, SIR … MIGHTY SCARCE.
17. NAME THE GREATEST OF ALL INVENTORS. ACCIDENT.
18. SANITY AND HAPPINESS ARE AN IMPOSSIBLE COMBINATION.
19. THE SECRET TO GETTING AHEAD IS GETTING STARTED.
20. HISTORY DOESN’T REPEAT ITSELF, BUT IT DOES RHYME.
21. A CLEAR CONSCIENCE IS THE SURE SIGN OF A BAD MEMORY.
22. ANY EMOTION, IF IT IS SINCERE, IS INVOLUNTARY.
23. I DIDN’T HAVE TIME TO WRITE A SHORT LETTER, SO I WROTE A LONG ONE INSTEAD.