Marilyn Monroe (born Norma Jeane Mortenson; June 1, 1926 – August 5, 1962) was an American actress, model, and singer, who became a major sex symbol, starring in a number of commercially successful motion pictures during the 1950s and early 1960s.
After spending much of her childhood in foster homes, Monroe began a career as a model, which led to a film contract in 1946 with Twentieth Century-Fox. Her early film appearances were minor, but her performances in The Asphalt Jungle and All About Eve (both 1950), drew attention. By 1952 she had her first leading role in Don’t Bother to Knock and 1953 brought a lead in Niagara, a melodramatic film noir that dwelt on her seductiveness. Her “dumb blonde” persona was used to comic effect in subsequent films such as Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953), How to Marry a Millionaire (1953) and The Seven Year Itch (1955). Limited by typecasting, Monroe studied at the Actors Studio to broaden her range. Her dramatic performance in Bus Stop (1956) was hailed by critics and garnered a Golden Globe nomination. Her production company, Marilyn Monroe Productions, released The Prince and the Showgirl (1957), for which she received a BAFTA Award nomination and won a David di Donatello award. She received a Golden Globe Award for her performance in Some Like It Hot (1959). Monroe’s last completed film was The Misfits, co-starring Clark Gable with screenplay by her then-husband, Arthur Miller.
1. A WISE GIRL KISSES BUT DOESN’T LOVE, LISTENS BUT DOESN’T BELIEVE, AND LEAVES BEFORE SHE IS LEFT.
2. WOMEN WHO SEEK TO BE EQUAL WITH MEN LACK AMBITION.
3. IMPERFECTION IS BEAUTY, MADNESS IS GENIUS AND IT’S BETTER TO BE ABSOULUTELY RIDICULOUS THAN ABSOLUTELY BORING.
4. I AM GOOD, BUT NOT AN ANGEL. I DO SIN, BUT I AM NOT THE DEVIL. I AM JUST A SMALL GIRL IN A BIG WORLD TRYING TO FIND SOMEONE TO LOVE.
5. IF YOU CAN MAKE A GIRL LAUGH, YOU CAN MAKE HER DO ANYTHING.
6. THE REAL LOVER IS THE MAN WHO CAN THRILL YOU BY KISSING YOUR FOREHEAD OR SMILING INTO YOUR EYES OR JUST STARING INTO SPACE.
7. IF YOU’RE GONNA BE TWO-FACED AT LEAST MAKE ONE OF THEM PRETTY.
8. EVER NOTICE HOW WHAT THE HELL IS ALWAYS THE RIGHT ANSWER?
9. GIVE A GIRL THE RIGHT SHOES, AND SHE CAN CONQUER THE WORLD.
10. WE SHOULD ALL START TO LIVE BEFORE WE GET TOO OLD. FEAR IS STUPID. SO ARE REGRETS.
11. SHE WAS A GIRL WHO KNEW HOW TO BE HAPPY EVEN WHEN SHE WAS SAD. AND THAT’S IMPORTANT – YOU KNOW.
12. BENEATH THE MAKEUP AND BEHIND THE SMILE I AM JUST A GIRL WHO WISHES FOR THE WORLD.
13. I DON’T MIND LIVING IN A MAN’S WORLD, AS LONG AS I CAN BE A WOMAN IN IT.
14. THE NICEST THING FOR ME IS SLEEP, THEN AT LEAST I CAN DREAM.
15. WHO SAID NIGHTS WERE FOR SLEEP?
16. ALL LITTLE GIRLS SHOULD BE TOLD THEY ARE PRETTY, EVEN IF THEY AREN’T.
17. IT’S NOT TRUE THAT I HAD NOTHING ON. I HAD THE RADIO ON.
18. YOU BELIEVE LIES SO YOU EVENTUALLY LEARN TO TRUST NO ONE BUT YOURSELF.
19. WE ARE ALL OF US STARS, AND DESERVE TO TWINKLE.
20. IF I’D OBSERVED ALL THE RULES I’D HAVE GOT ANYWHERE.
21. DOGS NEVER BITE ME. JUST HUMANS.
22. SEX IS PART OF NATURE. I GO ALONG WITH NATURE.
23. I DON’T MIND MAKING JOKES, BUT I DON’T WANT TO LOOK LIKE ONE.
24. I DON’T KNOW WHO INVENTED HIGH HEELS, BUT ALL WOMEN OWE HIM A LOT.
25. I DON’T WANT TO MAKE MONEY, I JUST WANT TO BE WONDERFUL.
26. YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT LIFE IS LIKE, UNTIL YOU HAVE LIVED IT.
27. I RESTORE MYSELF WHEN I’M ALONE.
28. IT’S ALL MAKE BELIEVE, ISN’T IT?
29. DIAMONDS ARE A GIRLS BEST FRIEND.
30. THE BODY IS MEANT TO BE SEEN, NOT ALL COVERED UP.