Madonna Louise Ciccone ( born August 16, 1958) is an American singer-songwriter, actress, director, dancer, and entrepreneur. Born in Bay City, Michigan, she moved to New York City in 1977 to pursue a career in modern dance and performed in the music groups Breakfast Club and Emmy.
Madonna is known for continuously reinventing both her music and image, and for retaining a standard of autonomy within the recording industry. She attained immense popularity by pushing the boundaries of lyrical content in mainstream popular music and imagery in her music videos, which became a fixture on MTV. Critics have praised her diverse musical productions which have also been known to induce controversy. Madonna released her self-titled debut album in 1983, and followed it with a series of successful albums, including the Grammy Award winners Ray of Light (1998) and Confessions on a Dance Floor (2005). Many of her songs peaked atop record charts, including “Like a Virgin”, “Into the Groove”, “Papa Don’t Preach”, “Like a Prayer”, “Vogue”, “Frozen”, “Music”, “Hung Up”, and “4 Minutes”.
1. I STAND FOR FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION, DOING WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN, AND GOING AFTER YOUR DREAMS.
2. POOR IS THE MAN WHOSE PLEASURES DEPEND ON THE PERMISSION OF ANOTHER.
3. A LOT OF PLACES I GO ARE DANGEROUS, LIKE TEL AVIV OR RIO, BUT THAT NEVER STOPS ME FROM GOING THERE AND PUTTING ON A SHOW. I HAVE GOOD SECURITY. I DON’T WORRY ABOUT THAT.
4. I AM THE RESULT OF THE GOOD CHOICES I’VE MADE AND THE BAD CHOICES.
5. I DON’T LIKE ROOMS YOU NEVER USE OR THAT ARE WASTED SPACE BUT I ALSO LIKE A SPARSENESS AND A CLEANNESS.
6. I LIKE TO CHANGE. A NEW LAMP, A PIECE OF ART, CAN TRANSFORM A ROOM.
7. I ALWAYS FELT LIKE I WAS A FREAK WHEN I WAS GROWING UP AND THAT THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME BECAUSE I COULDN’T FIT IN ANYWHERE.
8. CATHOLICISM IS NOT A SOOTHING RELIGION. IT’S A PAINFUL RELIGION. WE’RE ALL GLUTTONS FOR PUNISHMENT.
9. I HAVE THE SAME GOAL I’VE HAD EVER SINCE I WAS A GIRL: I WANT TO RULE THE WORLD.
10. I THINK MY BIGGEST FLAW IS MY INSECURITY. I’M TERRIBLY INSECURE. I’M PLAGUED WITH INSECURITIES 24/7.
11. I GET STRENGTH FROM MY ART – ALL THE PAINTINGS I OWN ARE POWERFUL.
12. AS AN ARTIST MYSELF, I KNOW WHAT IT’S LIKE TO PUT YOUR HEART AND SOUL INTO SOMETHING. YOU CAN FEEL THE PRESENCE OF ANOTHER PERSON.
13. I ALWAYS THOUGHT I SHOULD BE TREATED LIKE A STAR.
14. I DON’T GO TO THE SALE RACK. BUT I WOULDN’T SAY I AM DECADENT IN MY SPENDING. I AM CAREFUL.
15. I GREW UP IN A HIGH SCHOOL WHERE IT WAS VERY CONSERVATIVE, AND I FELT LIKE PEOPLE DISAPPROVED OF ME, AND I FELT LIKE AN OUTSIDER.
16. I HATE BEING CALLED A POP STAR. I HATE THAT.
17. I HAVE MY WORK AND MY FAITH… IF THAT’S BORING TO SOME PEOPLE, I CAN’T TELL YOU HOW MUCH I DON’T CARE.
18. I REALLY SAW MYSELF AS THE QUINTESSENTIAL CINDERELLA. I THINK THAT’S WHEN I REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT HOW I WANTED TO DO SOMETHING ELSE AND GET AWAY FROM ALL THAT.