Elizabeth Clark “Liz” Phair (born April 17, 1967) is an American singer-songwriter and guitarist.
She began her career in the early 1990s by self-releasing audio cassettes under the moniker Girly Sound, before signing with the independent record label Matador Records. Her 1993 debut studio album Exile in Guyville was released to acclaim: by the turn of the 21st century, it had been ranked by Rolling Stone as one of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. Ten years after the release of her debut, Phair’s fourth album, Liz Phair, was released on Capitol Records and her music began to move in a more pop rock-oriented approach. Phair has sold nearly three million records worldwide. Her latest album, Funstyle, was released on July 3, 2010.
1. IT WAS A SOURCE OF SHAME FOR MY FAMILY THAT I WAS IN ROCK AND ROLL, WHICH IS SO BLUE-COLLAR. IT JUST ISN’T DONE. AND I FELT IT, TOO.
2. I AM A FEMINIST, AND I DEFINE MYSELF: BE YOURSELF, BECAUSE IF YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH IT, THAT IS THE ULTIMATE FEMINIST ACT.
3. I DON’T KNOW WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
4. I TRY TO SEE INTERVIEWING AS PERFORMANCE ART, AND JUST TAKE IT AS IT COMES.
5. I PRANCE AROUND AND DANCE BY MYSELF TO HIP-HOP SONGS IN THE MIRROR.
6. MY NAILS ARE A DISASTER. IF I PLAY GUITAR WHEN MY NAILS ARE LONG, I JUST TEAR THEM OFF.
7. I WAS RAISED TO BE A VERY INTELLIGENT HOUSEWIFE.
8. AFTER MY FIRST RECORD CAME OUT, I READ EVERYTHING. I WAS SO AMAZED THAT I WAS IN THE PRESS.
9. I AM JUST LIKE YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE. I AM TRYING TO LIVE MY LIFE AS BEST I CAN.
10. ALL PARENTS GUSH ABOUT WHAT IT’S LIKE TO BE A PARENT. I LOVE IT.
11. MY CAREER HAS BEEN RIDDLED WITH CONTROVERSY, WHICH I NEVER FULLY UNDERSTAND.
12. I BLEND MY GREEN DRINK EVERY MORNING. I ALSO FIX MY SON A FULL-ON AMERICAN BREAKFAST WITH BACON AND TOAST.