Jonah Hill Feldstein (born December 20, 1983) better known as Jonah Hill, is an American actor, producer, screenwriter, comedian, and voice actor. He is a two-time Academy Award nominee, for his performances in the films Moneyball (2011) and The Wolf of Wall Street (2013). He is also known for his roles in Superbad (2007), Knocked Up (2007), Funny People (2009), Get Him to the Greek (2010), 21 Jump Street (2012), and This Is the End (2013), as well as for his voice role in How to Train Your Dragon (2010).
Hill was born in Los Angeles, the son of Sharon Lyn, a costume designer and fashion stylist, and Richard Feldstein, a tour accountant for Guns N’ Roses. Hill has a brother, Jordan Feldstein, who is six years older.
1. I LOVE IT, MAN; I’M 23 YEARS OLD AND I’M LUCKY ENOUGH TO WRITE MOVIES AS A JOB! I JUST FEEL REALLY BLESSED AND CAN’T BELIEVE IT’S HAPPENING.
2. BESIDES THE FACT THAT I MAKE MOVIES, THERE’S NOTHING INTERESTING ABOUT MY LIFE AT ALL, UNFORTUNATELY.
3. THE GREAT THING ABOUT ‘ALLEN GREGORY’ IS THAT WE TRY TO MAKE IT REALLY QUESTIONABLE THAT THE THINGS HE SAYS HAVE HAPPENED, HAVE REALLY HAPPENED. WE LIKE THAT AMBIGUITY.
4. I GREW UP IN THE ’80S IN L.A., SO ICE CUBE AND MAGIC JOHNSON ARE MY HEROES.
5. WHEN I FIRST MET THE WORLD, BASICALLY, OR INTRODUCED MYSELF TO PEOPLE, I WAS IN ‘SUPERBAD,’ AND I FEEL THE SAME WAY I FELT PROMOTING ‘SUPERBAD’ IN AN UNDERDOG STYLE THAT I FEEL PROMOTING ‘MONEYBALL.’
6. YEAH I GREW UP IN THE PUBLIC EYE. I BECAME A MAN IN THE PUBLIC EYE, WHICH IS KIND OF A BIZARRE THING TO COME TO TERMS WITH. NOW I’M IN MY LATE 20S AND I WAS IN MY EARLY 20S WHEN I BECAME RECOGNIZABLE. BUT I THINK ‘MONEYBALL’ REPRESENTS A VERY STRONG SHIFT IN MY CAREER AND BECOMING AN ADULT AND A MAN.
7. IT’S HARDER TO BE FUNNY IF YOU’RE HANDSOME THAN IF YOU’RE VERY NORMAL-LOOKING. IT’S JUST MORE RELATABLE. YOU’RE THE UNDERDOG. I MEAN IT’S FUNNY TO SEE PEOPLE STRUGGLE, AND YOU DON’T BUY THAT BRAD PITT IS STRUGGLING, YOU KNOW THAT GUY COULD BE THE MOST SKILL-LESS GUY IN THE WORLD, BUT IF YOU LOOK LIKE THAT YOU WILL BE FINE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.
8. ‘FUNNY PEOPLE’ IS MY FAVORITE PERFORMANCE OF MYSELF TO DATE. EVEN THOUGH IT’S A COMEDY AND THERE ARE SERIOUS MOMENTS, I REALLY FELT LIKE LEO FELT LIKE A REAL PERSON. IT DIDN’T FEEL LIKE I WAS PLAYING MYSELF. WHETHER IT’S A COMEDY OR DRAMA, I JUST TRY TO MAKE IT AS REALISTIC AS POSSIBLE.
9. IT’S ALWAYS BETTER TO SHOCK PEOPLE AND CHANGE PEOPLE’S EXPECTATIONS THAN TO GIVE THEM EXACTLY WHAT THEY THINK YOU CAN DO. IT’S NOT UNEXPECTED FOR ME TO BE IN A COMEDY FILM ANYMORE; I’M NO LONGER THE UNDERDOG IN THAT WORLD. NOT THAT I’M GREAT OR GOOD AT IT OR ANYTHING, IT’S JUST THAT I’VE DONE A BUNCH OF THEM, SO YOU’RE NOT SHOCKED.
10. I REALLY CARE ABOUT THIS STUFF, I CARE ABOUT MOVIES, AND YOU JUST HAVE TO BE STRONG AND DON’T BE STUPID; FREEDOM OF CHOICE IS A BIG RESPONSIBILITY, AND I’M LUCKY ENOUGH NOT TO HAVE TO JUST TAKE ANY MOVIE TO PAY THE RENT, SO THERE’S NO NEED TO BE GREEDY.
11. I ASSUME EVERYTHING I DO IN LIFE IS GONNA BE A FAILURE, AND THEN IF IT TURNS UP ROSES, THEN I’M PSYCHED.
12. I AM A FILMMAKER FANATIC. I HAVE NEVER BEEN STAR-STRUCK BY AN ACTOR ONCE IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.
13. PROFESSIONALLY, I FEEL LIKE I WON THE LOTTERY AND I AM THE LUCKIEST PERSON IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.
14. I’VE NEVER HAD ISSUES WITH POPULARITY. I WAS ALWAYS A POPULAR GUY… I’VE ALWAYS HAD FRIENDS AND LOVED ONES AND EVERYTHING, SO IT WASN’T LIKE, ‘OH MAN, I GOTTA FILL SOME VOID THAT WAS LEFT BY HIGH SCHOOL.’ I HAD A GREAT HIGH-SCHOOL EXPERIENCE.
15. MY HEROES ARE BILL MURRAY AND DUSTIN HOFFMAN. THOSE ARE THE TWO ACTORS THAT BOTH DO COMEDIES AND DRAMAS, SEAMLESSLY. ALSO JOHN C. REILLY AND PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN. THEY’RE ALL JUST GREAT ACTORS, NEITHER COMEDIC NOR DRAMATIC. THEY’RE JUST GREAT ACTORS.
16. I JUST LIKE TO ACT AND WRITE AND PRODUCE. TO ME, MAKING MOVIES IS THE ULTIMATE GOAL.
17. I LEARN A LOT FROM EVERY DIRECTOR THAT I WORK WITH. I SIT ON SET AND WATCH THEM, EVERY ONE.
18. I RUN AND DO A LOT OF PUSH-UPS AND EAT HEALTHY.