John Ono Lennon, MBE, born John Winston Lennon (9 October 1940 – 8 December 1980) was an English musician, singer and songwriter who rose to worldwide fame as a founder member of The Beatles, one of the most commercially successful and critically acclaimed acts in the history of popular music. Together with Paul McCartney, he formed one of the most celebrated songwriting partnerships of the 20th century.
Born and raised in Liverpool, Lennon became involved as a teenager in the skiffle craze; his first band, the Quarrymen, evolved into the Beatles in 1960. As the group disintegrated towards the end of the decade, Lennon embarked on a solo career that produced the critically acclaimed albums John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band and Imagine, and iconic songs such as “Give Peace a Chance” and “Imagine”. After his marriage to Yoko Ono in 1969, he changed his name to John Ono Lennon. Lennon disengaged himself from the music business in 1975 to devote time to raising his infant son Sean, but re-emerged with Ono in 1980 with the new album Double Fantasy. He was murdered three weeks after its release.
1. LIFE IS WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU WHILE YOU’RE BUSY MAKING OTHER PLANS.
2. AS USUAL, THERE IS A GREAT WOMAN BEHIND EVERY IDIOT.
3. COUNT YOUR AGE BY FRIENDS, NOT YEARS. COUNT YOUR LIFE BY SMILES, NOT TEARS.
4. THE MORE I SEE, THE LESS I KNOW FOR SURE.
5. A DREAM YOU DREAM ALONE IS ONLY A DREAM. A DREAM YOU DREAM TOGETHER IS REALITY.
6. THERE’S NOWHERE YOU CAN BE THAT ISN’T WHERE YOU’RE MEANT TO BE…
7. IF EVERYONE DEMANDED PEACE INSTEAD OF ANOTHER TELEVISION SET, THEN THERE’D BE PEACE.
8. ONE THING YOU CAN’T HIDE – IS WHEN YOU’RE CRIPPLED INSIDE.
9. LIVING IS EASY WITH EYES CLOSED.
10. REALITY LEAVES A LOT TO THE IMAGINATION.
11. LIMITLESS UNDYING LOVE WHICH SHINES AROUND ME LIKE A MILLION SUNS IT CALLS ME ON AND ON ACROSS THE UNIVERSE.
12. WAR IS OVER … IF YOU WANT IT.
13. IT’S WEIRD NOT BE WEIRD.
14. GOD IS A CONCEPT BY WHICH WE MEASURE OUR PAIN.
15. NOTHING IS REAL.
16. LOVE IS LIKE A FLOWER-YOU’VE GOT TO LET IT GROW.
17. LOVE IS A PROMISE, LOVE IS A SOUVENIR, ONCE GIVEN NEVER FORGOTTEN, NEVER LET IT DISAPPEAR.
18. HOW CAN I GO FORWARD WHEN I DON’T KNOW WHICH WAY I’M FACING?
19. I GET BY WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS.
20. WHATEVER GETS YOU THROUGH THE NIGHT.
21. EVERYTHING IS CLEARER WHEN YOU’RE IN LOVE.
22. MUSIC IS EVERYBODY’S BUSINESS. IT’S ONLY THE PUBLISHERS WHO THINK PEOPLE OWN IT.
23. IMAGINE ALL OF US LIVING IN PEACE, IT’S TOO BEAUTIFUL TO JUST BE A DREAM.