John Paul Cusack (born June 28, 1966) is an American actor, producer, screenwriter and puppeteer. He has appeared in films such as Say Anything…, Grosse Pointe Blank, High Fidelity, Con Air, Being John Malkovich, 1408, Must Love Dogs, 2012, Martian Child, America’s Sweethearts, and The Butler.
Cusack was born to a Catholic Irish-American family in Evanston, Illinois. His mother, Ann Paula “Nancy” (born Carolan), is a former mathematics teacher and political activist. His father, Richard Cusack (1925–2003), was an actor, as are John’s siblings, Ann, Joan, Bill, and Susie. His father was also a documentary filmmaker, owned a film production company, and was a friend of activist Philip Berrigan. Cusack spent a year at New York University before dropping out, saying that he had “too much fire in belly”.
1. I FORCE PEOPLE TO HAVE COFFEE WITH ME, JUST BECAUSE I DON’T TRUST THAT A FRIENDSHIP CAN BE MAINTAINED WITHOUT ANY OTHER SENSES BESIDES A COMPUTER OR CELLPHONE SCREEN.
2. THERE’S ALSO SOME ELEMENT OF COMING OF AGE DURING THE REAGAN ADMINISTRATION, WHICH EVERYBODY HAS PAINTED AS SOME GLORIOUS TIME IN AMERICA, BUT I REMEMBER AS BEING A VERY, VERY DARK TIME. THERE WAS APOCALYPSE IN THE AIR; THE PUNK ROCK MOVEMENT MADE SENSE.
3. I KEPT SAYING THAT I’D NEVER LIVE IN L.A., AND I DIDN’T THINK I WOULD. BUT THAT’S WHERE THE WORK IS, AND I ENDED UP MAKING A LOT OF FRIENDS THERE, AND MY OLD FRIENDS MOVED OUT TO LOS ANGELES TOO. AND ALSO, I THINK WHEN YOU’RE FAMOUS, ITS HARD TO LIVE IN A SMALL TOWN.
4. HITLER WAS SO MODERN, IN THAT HE WAS OBSESSED WITH BEING FAMOUS. HE WAS CAUGHT UP WITH THIS RUSH TO BE HAVE ACHIEVED GREATNESS BEFORE TURNING 30.
5. I FEEL CLOSE TO LLOYD IN ‘SAY ANYTHING’. HE WAS LIKE A SUPER-INTERESTING VERSION OF ME. ONLY I’M NOT AS GOOD AS HIM. WHATEVER PART OF ME IS ROMANTIC AND OPTIMISTIC, I REACHED INTO THAT TO PLAY LLOYD.
6. YOU CAN ONLY REALLY JUDGE YOURSELF IN COMPARISON TO OTHER PEOPLE. HOW BAD YOU ARE, BUT YOU’RE NOT AS BAD AS SOMEONE ELSE. SO IT’S DEGREES OF LOSING.
7. IF YOU’RE GOING TO GET INTO SOCIAL CRITICISM WITH ABSURDITY AND SATIRE, YOU CAN’T BE POLITICALLY CORRECT WHEN YOU DO THAT.
8. DO I LISTEN TO POP MUSIC BECAUSE I’M MISERABLE OR AM I MISERABLE BECAUSE LISTEN TO POP MUSIC?
9. I WAS NEVER INTO THE POPULAR SCHOOL OR CLIQUE OR ANYTHING. THEN I STARTED DOING MOVIES WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL, SO THEN I GOT POPULAR. THEN THE GIRLS PAID ATTENTION TO YOU WHO DIDN’T BEFORE.
10. OF COURSE, I THINK IT IS LEGITIMATE FOR THE COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF TO BE CONCERNED FOR THE SAFETY OF HIS SOLDIERS.
11. I HAVE A BIT OF A REBELLIOUS NATURE.
12. I WAS RAISED IRISH CATHOLIC, BUT I DON’T CONSIDER MYSELF IRISH CATHOLIC: I CONSIDER MYSELF ME, AN AMERICAN.
13. I WAS RAISED CATHOLIC UNTIL I WAS OLD ENOUGH TO SAY NO.
14. A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE NOT MEANT TO BE TOGETHER.
15. KITSCH IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN IT LOOKS WHEN TAKEN TO THE EXTREME.
16. HOPEFULLY AS YOU GET OLDER YOU GET MORE SELFLESS. THAT WOULD BE PROBABLY A GOOD GOAL. I DON’T KNOW IF WE DO, THOUGH.
17. TEXAS WOMEN HAVE AN AMAZING SENSE OF PURPOSE WHEN THEY LOSE IT. THEY’RE THE BEST GIRLS IN THE WORLD – THEY’RE LOYAL AND FUN, BUT WHEN THEY GET MAD, THEY’LL TRY TO KILL YOU.
18. THERE ARE SOME GOOD PEOPLE. BUT A GOOD CHUNK OF THEM WILL LIE FOR NO REASON AT ALL – IT’LL BE TEN O’CLOCK AND THEY’LL TELL YOU IT’S NINE. YOU’RE LOOKING AT THE CLOCK AND YOU CAN’T EVEN FATHOM WHY THEY’RE LYING. THEY JUST LIE BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT THEY DO.
19. IF YOU WANNA GIVE ME AN AWARD, I’LL TAKE IT. JUST DON’T MAKE ME GO TO THE PARTY AFTERWARDS.
20. IT’S LIKE THOSE HIGH-SCHOOL YEARBOOK PHOTOS THAT EVERYONE WOULD RATHER NOT SEE: OH MY GOD, LOOK AT THAT MULLET HAIR. I HAVE THOSE PHOTOS TOO, BUT FOR ME, THEY’RE, LIKE, ENTIRE MOVIES. AND THEY SHOW THEM ON CABLE.
21. BUT, YOU KNOW, I’M SORRY, I THINK DEMOCRACY REQUIRES PARTICIPATION. I MEAN, I DON’T WANT TO PROSELYTIZE BUT I DO FEEL SOME SORT OF DUTY TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PROCESS IN SOME WAY OTHER THAN JUST BLINDLY GETTING BEHIND A POLITICAL PARTY.
22. I DON’T TEND TO THINK IN TERMS OF A MORAL AUTHORITY – BE A GOOD BOY, DO GOOD THINGS – MORE IN TERMS OF WHAT FEELS RIGHT.
23. I THINK GOOD ACTORS CAN SORT OF SEE INTO PEOPLE AND IMMEDIATELY YOU HAVE A CHEMISTRY WITH THEM OR NOT. IT’S LIKE AN AFFAIR WITH NO MESS. YOU DON’T ACTUALLY CONSUMMATE IT, BUT YOU GET TO PRETEND, IMAGINE WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE.
24. I REMEMBER THE ’80S BEING ABOUT THE COLD WAR AND REAGAN AND THE HOMELESS PROBLEM AND AIDS. TO ME, IT WAS KIND OF A DARK, DEPRESSING TIME.
25. I LIKE THE GEORGE ROMERO FILMS, WHICH WERE REALLY GREAT, SOCIAL SATIRE MOVIES; REALLY TWISTED.