Jennifer Lynn Muñiz ( born July 24, 1969), commonly referred to by her moniker J.Lo, is an American actress, dancer, entrepreneur, fashion designer, film producer, philanthropist, recording artist and spokeswoman. She became interested in pursuing a career in the entertainment industry following a small role in the 1986 film My Little Girl, to the dismay of her Puerto Rican parents, who believed that it was an unrealistic career route for a Hispanic. Following a move from The Bronx to Manhattan, Lopez performed in regional stage productions, before touring with musicals in Europe and Japan. She gained her first regular high-profile job as a Fly Girl dancer on In Living Color in 1991, where she remained a regular cast member until 1993 when she decided to pursue a full-time acting career. Lopez received her first leading role in the Selena biopic of the same name in 1997. Following subsequent roles in the films Anaconda (1997) and Out of Sight (1998), Lopez ventured into the music industry in 1999 with the release of On the 6.
1. BEAUTY IS ONLY SKIN DEEP. I THINK WHAT’S REALLY IMPORTANT IS FINDING A BALANCE OF MIND, BODY AND SPIRIT. SOMEBODY SAID TO ME NOT TOO LONG AGO, ‘UNTIL YOU’RE TWENTY, YOU HAVE THE FACE YOU ARE BORN WITH, AND AFTER THAT YOU HAVE THE FACE YOU DESERVE’, AND I REALLY LOVED THAT – THE IDEA THAT YOU WEAR WHO YOU ARE ON YOUR FACE.
2. IF YOU KISS ON THE FIRST DATE AND IT’S NOT RIGHT, THEN THERE WILL BE NO SECOND DATE. SOMETIMES IT’S BETTER TO HOLD OUT AND NOT KISS FOR A LONG TIME. I AM A STRONG BELIEVER IN KISSING BEING VERY INTIMATE, AND THE MINUTE YOU KISS, THE FLOODGATES OPEN FOR EVERYTHING ELSE.
3. YOU LAUGH IT OFF, YOU GET UPSET FOR A LITTLE WHILE, YOU’RE HUMAN AND YOU LET IT GO.
4. YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE. WHAT YOU PUT INTO THINGS IS WHAT YOU GET OUT OF THEM.
5. THEY’RE MAKING ME OUT TO BE A SERIAL MARRYING PERSON OR SOMETHING. I’M LAUGHING AT THAT.
6. THERE ARE CERTAIN PEOPLE THAT ARE MARKED FOR DEATH. I HAVE MY LITTLE LIST OF THOSE THAT TREATED ME UNFAIRLY.
7. PEOPLE EQUATE SEXY WITH PROMISCUOUS. THEY THINK THAT BECAUSE I’M SHAPED THIS WAY, I MUST BE SCANDALOUS – LIKE RUNNING AROUND AND BRINGING MEN INTO MY HOTEL ROOM. BUT IT’S JUST THE OPPOSITE.
8. IT’S A SHAME TO CALL SOMEBODY A ‘DIVA’ SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY WORK HARDER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE.
9. I WANTED TO DO MY HAIR (ON HER CURLY HAIR AT THE OSCARS) LIKE THAT. SOMETIMES PEOPLE JUST DON’T GET THINGS UNTIL MONTHS LATER.
10. I COULD SERVE COFFEE USING MY REAR AS A LEDGE.
11. I WAS ALWAYS A SINGER AND A DANCER, AND I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE AN ACTRESS. FOR ME, IT’S ALL JUST ONE THING.
12. IT’S HARD FOR THEM (PARTNERS) TO LIVE IN MY SHADOW, KNOWING THAT THEY WILL NEVER MAKE THE MONEY I DO.
13. I THOUGHT SHE’D [HER MOTHER] OFFER ME SOME SYMPATHY. INSTEAD, SHE SAID, ‘DON’T YOU EVER CALL ME CRYING AGAIN! YOU WANTED TO BE IN THIS BUSINESS, SO YOU BETTER TOUGHEN UP!’ AND I DID.
14. MY PARENTS WANTED ME TO BE A LAWYER. BUT I DON’T THINK I WOULD HAVE BEEN VERY HAPPY. I’D BE IN FRONT OF THE JURY SINGING.
15. IT USED TO BOTHER ME BEING PORTRAYED AS THIS BITCHY PERSON, BUT NOW I FEEL THAT THE PUBLIC UNDERSTANDS ME BETTER THAN SOME WRITER. THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHO I REALLY AM, AND THAT’S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.
16. SOMETIMES JOURNALISTS TRY TO CREATE A PERSONA THAT’S NOT REALLY THERE.
17. I DON’T GET ANYTHING FOR FREE. I PAY FOR ALL MY BEAUTY TREATMENTS.
18. IF YOU LOVE SOMEONE, DON`T WAIT TILL TOMORROW TO TELL HIM/HER. MAYBE THAT NEXT DAY WILL NEVER COME AT ALL.
19. THE BEAR IS WHAT WE ALL WRESTLE WITH. EVERYBODY HAS THEIR BEAR IN LIFE. IT’S ABOUT CONQUERING THAT BEAR AND LETTING HIM GO.
20. I JUST OBSERVED — LIKE WHEN A FEMALE COP IS STANDING WITH A MALE COP, PEOPLE TALK TO THE MALE COP. SO WOMEN FIND WAYS TO DEMAND RESPECT. THEY DON’T LET MEN ONE-UP THEM IN ANYTHING. THEY BANTER WITH THEM LINE FOR LINE. THEY SHOOT WITH THEM SHOT FOR SHOT.