Hugh Michael Jackman (born 12 October 1968) is an Australian actor and producer who is involved in film, musical theatre, and television.
Jackman has won many international recognition for his roles in major films, notably as superhero, period, and romance characters. He is known for his long-running role as Wolverine in the X-Men film series, as well as for his leads in Kate & Leopold, Van Helsing, The Prestige, Australia, Real Steel, and Les Misérables. His work in Les Misérables earned him his first Academy Award nomination for Best Actor and his first Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy in 2013. He is also a singer, dancer, and actor in stage musicals, and won a Tony Award for his role in The Boy from Oz.
1. TO ME, THE SMELL OF FRESH-MADE COFFEE IS ONE OF THE GREATEST INVENTIONS.
2. TO GET DOWN TO THE QUICK OF IT, RESPECT MOTIVATES ME – NOT SUCCESS.
3. AS YOU GET OLDER YOU HAVE MORE RESPECT AND EMPATHY FOR YOUR PARENTS. NOW I HAVE A GREAT RELATIONSHIP WITH BOTH OF THEM.
4. NOW I MEET PEOPLE WITH FULL-COLOR WOLVERINE TATTOOS ON THEIR BACKS. THANK GOD I DID OKAY, BECAUSE I THINK IF I HADN’T, THEY’D SPIT ON ME IN THE STREET.
5. AMERICANS ARE THE MOST GENEROUS COUNTRY ON THE PLANET. I’VE WORKED IN EUROPE, I’VE WORKED IN AUSTRALIA. THERE IS NO WHERE ELSE WHERE YOU GET ABSOLUTELY NO ATTITUDE FOR BEING A FOREIGNER. IF YOU DO YOUR JOB WELL, THEY EMBRACE YOU.
6. THE WORD PHILOSOPHY SOUNDS HIGH-MINDED, BUT IT SIMPLY MEANS THE LOVE OF WISDOM. IF YOU LOVE SOMETHING, YOU DON’T JUST READ ABOUT IT; YOU HUG IT, YOU MESS WITH IT, YOU PLAY WITH IT, YOU ARGUE WITH IT.
7. WITH AGE, YOU SEE PEOPLE FAIL MORE. YOU SEE YOURSELF FAIL MORE. HOW DO YOU KEEP THAT FEARLESSNESS OF A KID? YOU KEEP GOING. LUCKILY, I’M NOT AFRAID TO MAKE A FOOL OF MYSELF.
8. BUT ANYONE WHO’S DONE A MUSICAL KNOWS; WHETHER YOU’RE DANCING OR NOT, PHYSICALLY IT’S THE MOST DIFFICULT THING YOU CAN DO.
9. MEDITATION IS ALL ABOUT THE PURSUIT OF NOTHINGNESS. IT’S LIKE THE ULTIMATE REST. IT’S BETTER THAN THE BEST SLEEP YOU’VE EVER HAD. IT’S A QUIETING OF THE MIND. IT SHARPENS EVERYTHING, ESPECIALLY YOUR APPRECIATION OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS. IT KEEPS LIFE FRESH.
10. AUSTRALIANS ARE COFFEE SNOBS. AN INFLUX OF ITALIAN IMMIGRANTS AFTER WORLD WAR II ENSURED THAT – WE PROBABLY HAD THE WORD ‘CAPPUCCINO’ ABOUT 20 YEARS BEFORE AMERICA. CAFE CULTURE IS REALLY BIG FOR AUSSIES. WE LIKE TO WORK HARD, BUT WE TAKE OUR LEISURE TIME SERIOUSLY.
11. BUT IN ANOTHER WORLD, ANOTHER LIFE, PROBABLY GROWING UP IN ANOTHER COUNTRY, I MIGHT HAVE BEEN MORE OF A DANCER.
12. I HAVE A TERRIFIC MARRIAGE, BUT UNLIKE A LOT OF RELATIONSHIPS WHERE THEY EBB AND FLOW, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS YOU FALL DEEPER AND DEEPER IN LOVE EVERY DAY. IT’S KIND OF THE BEST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU. IT’S THRILLING.
13. I HAVE A WIFE AND A SON, BUT THE GAY RUMORS HAVE STARTED. I GUESS IT’S A SIGN THAT I’M MOVING UP THE LADDER.
14. ACTUALLY, I GRADUATED FROM UNIVERSITY AS A JOURNALIST.
15. THERE WAS A WHOLE DISPLAY SET UP OF ALL THE X-MEN PARAPHERNALIA. MY WIFE COULDN’T RESIST TELLING THIS 5-YEAR-OLD BOY THAT I WAS WOLVERINE. THE LITTLE KID LOOKED UP AT ME AND HE WAS STARING AT ME.
16. I FEEL SO LUCKY TO HAVE BOTH A SON AND A DAUGHTER, BECAUSE THERE’S A DIFFERENT RELATIONSHIP WITH EACH OF THEM.
17. I’VE NEVER HEARD MY DAD SAY A BAD WORD ABOUT ANYBODY. HE ALWAYS KEEPS HIS EMOTIONS IN CHECK AND IS A TRUE GENTLEMAN. I WAS TAUGHT THAT LOSING IT WAS INDULGENT, A SELFISH ACT.
18. YOUR WIFE IS ALWAYS RIGHT. VERY SIMPLE. I THINK I’M GOING TO GET IT TATTOOED ON MY FOREHEAD.
19. WHEN I COME HOME, MY DAUGHTER WILL RUN TO THE DOOR AND GIVE ME A BIG HUG, AND EVERYTHING THAT’S HAPPENED THAT DAY JUST MELTS AWAY.
20. THERE COMES A CERTAIN POINT IN LIFE WHEN YOU HAVE TO STOP BLAMING OTHER PEOPLE FOR HOW YOU FEEL OR THE MISFORTUNES IN YOUR LIFE. YOU CAN’T GO THROUGH LIFE OBSESSING ABOUT WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN.
21. BEING ON BROADWAY IS THE MODERN EQUIVALENT OF BEING A MONK. I SLEEP A LOT, EAT A LOT, AND REST A LOT.
22. BY NATURE I’M NOT A BROODER.