Héctor Elizondo (born December 22, 1936) is an American actor. Elizondo’s first major role was that of God in the 1970 Off-Broadway play Steambath, for which he won an Obie Award. Since then Elizondo has participated in over eighty films and has made numerous television appearances, including his Emmy Award-winning role on the series Chicago Hope and his most recent main role on the ABC sitcom Last Man Standing.
Elizondo was born in New York City, the son of Carmen Medina Reyes and Martín Echevarría Elizondo, a notary public and accountant. His father was of Basque ancestry and his mother was Puerto Rican; his parents moved from Puerto Rico to New York City, with the hope of finding a better way of life.
1. FOOD IS A PASSION. FOOD IS LOVE.
2. I LOVE THE FACT THAT IT STARTS FROM THERE, AND YOU DON’T KNOW WHERE IT’S GONNA GO. WAIT LONG ENOUGH – LOVE WILL FIND YOU. EVERYTHING’S A SURPRISE. WHEN YOU THINK YOU’VE GOT IT ALL FIGURED OUT… AS EMERSON SAID, THE DICE OF GOD ARE ALWAYS LOADED.
3. DEFINITELY NOT A SITCOM, THAT’S MY FIRST CONDITION. NO SITCOMS.
4. I STARTED IN RADIO, AGAIN ACCIDENTALLY. I WASN’T LOOKING FOR THIS KIND OF WORK AT ALL.
5. I’VE DODGED BULLETS BUT THERE’S NO SCANDAL IN MY LIFE.
6. YES, AND IT’S MY THIRD MOVIE WITH RICHARD. AMERICAN GIGOLO WAS MY FIRST.
7. YOU’RE AT THE TOP OF YOUR GAME IF YOU DO COMEDY.
8. I USED TO WORK, PART TIME, IN A DELI, IN THOSE DAYS WHEN YOUR PARENTS MADE YOU WORK JUST SO YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT WORK WAS LIKE. AND YOU’D MAKE 4, 5, 6, TEN DOLLARS.
9. YOU KNOW, A LOW BUDGET, YOU HAVE TO WORK HARDER. YOU HAVE TO PLAN WELL; YOU DON’T HAVE MUCH TIME TO REHEARSE.
10. SOMETIMES I JUST WALK THROUGH; I JUST SHOW UP, AS IN THE OTHER SISTER.
11. I’M ATTRACTED TO PATHOS, BECAUSE LIFE IS MOSTLY PATHOS. I’VE HAD A LOT OF IT IN MY LIFE.
12. I NEVER LEARNED TO COOK; I WAS A LITTLE SPOILED AS FAR AS THAT’S CONCERNED.
13. THE FACT THAT THAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEXICANS AND CUBANS IS PRONOUNCED. IT’S SO IMMEDIATELY RECOGNIZABLE, THE WAY A CUBAN SPEAKS, THE WAY A CUBAN MOVES THE HANDS.
14. I’M A PARENT, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU’VE HAD THE INTENSE PARENTING THE WAY I HAD. IT’S ALL IN THE BANK. IT’S ALL IN THE GREAT EXPERIENCE BANK. THOSE ARE YOUR SECRETS. THAT’S THE STUFF THAT MAKES YOUR WORK RICH, THAT’S WHAT YOU DIP INTO.
15. PRETTY WOMAN WAS THE EASIEST JOB I’VE EVER DONE. I JUST WORE THE RIGHT TOUPEE.
16. I THINK YOU CAN TELL THE HUMAN CONDITION BETTER THROUGH COMEDY.
17. WHICH REMINDS ME OF A FORTUNE COOKIE: YOU OFTEN FIND YOUR DESTINY ON THE PATH YOU TAKE TO AVOID IT.
18. I GUESS I WORK WELL WITH OTHERS I HANDLE YOUNGER ACTORS WELL.
19. I WORK WITH GARRY NO MATTER WHAT. WHAT I WANTED TO KEEP GOING WAS THE STREAK.
20. ON THOSE, I’VE SAID IT BEFORE, I WORK FREE. IT’S THE WAITING THEY PAY ME FOR.
21. YOU CAN TRUST A NEIL SIMON SCRIPT. EVERY DOT. EVERY DASH; THAT PAUSE MEANS SOMETHING. HE TAKES ALL THE JOKES OUT, PRACTICALLY.
22. I STARTED IN 1946 IN RADIO. I WAS TEN YEARS OLD. I WAS DISCOVERED SINGING IN A SCHOOL PLAY. SOMEONE WAS IN THE AUDIENCE AND IT’S SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION.