George Bernard Shaw (26 July 1856 – 2 November 1950) was an Irish playwright and a co-founder of the London School of Economics. Although his first profitable writing was music and literary criticism, in which capacity he wrote many highly articulate pieces of journalism, his main talent was for drama, and he wrote more than 60 plays. He was also an essayist, novelist and short story writer. Nearly all his writings address prevailing social problems, but have a vein of comedy which makes their stark themes more palatable. Issues which engaged Shaw’s attention included education, marriage, religion, government, health care, and class privilege.
1. PATRIOTISM IS YOUR CONVICTION THAT THIS COUNTRY IS SUPERIOR TO ALL OTHERS BECAUSE YOU WERE BORN IN IT.
2. IT’S SO HARD TO KNOW WHAT TO DO WHEN ONE WISHES EARNESTLY TO DO RIGHT.
3. I WAS NAUSEOUS AND TINGLY ALL OVER. I WAS EITHER IN LOVE OR I HAD SMALLPOX.
4. MAKE IT A RULE NEVER TO GIVE A CHILD A BOOK YOU WOULD NOT READ YOURSELF.
5. ANIMALS ARE MY FRIENDS… AND I DON’T EAT MY FRIENDS.
6. IF YOU CANNOT GET RID OF THE FAMILY SKELETON, YOU MAY AS WELL MAKE IT DANCE.
7. THOSE WHO CANNOT CHANGE THEIR MINDS CANNOT CHANGE ANYTHING.
8. THERE IS NO LOVE SINCERER THAN LOVE OF FOOD.
9. PEOPLE WHO SAY IT CANNOT BE DONE SHOULD NOT INTERRUPT THOSE WHO ARE DOING IT.
10. YOU USE A GLASS MIRROR TO SEE YOUR FACE; YOU USE WORKS OF ART TO SEE YOUR SOUL.
11. MY WAY OF JOKING IS TO TELL THE TRUTH. IT’S THE FUNNIEST JOKE IN THE WORLD.
12. NEVER WRESTLE WITH PIGS. YOU BOTH GET DIRTY AND THE PIG LIKES IT.
13. AFTER ALL, THE WRONG ROAD ALWAYS LEADS SOMEWHERE.
14. I’M AN ATHEIST AND I THANK GOD FOR IT.
15. I OFTEN QUOTE MYSELF. IT ADDS SPICE TO MY CONVERSATION.
16. ALL GREAT TRUTHS BEGIN AS BLASPHEMIES.
17. WAR DOES NOT DECIDE WHO IS RIGHT BUT WHO IS LEFT.
18. WHEN A THING IS FUNNY, SEARCH IT CAREFULLY FOR A HIDDEN TRUTH.
19. THE THOUGHT OF TWO THOUSAND PEOPLE CRUNCHING CELERY AT THE SAME TIME HORRIFIED ME.
20. POWER DOES NOT CORRUPT MEN; FOOLS, HOWEVER, IF THEY GET INTO A POSITION OF POWER, CORRUPT POWER.