Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (October 15, 1844 – August 25, 1900) was a German philosopher, poet, composer, cultural critic, and classical philologist. He wrote critical texts on religion, morality, contemporary culture, philosophy, and science, displaying a fondness for metaphor, irony, and aphorism.
Nietzsche’s key ideas include the “death of God”, the Übermensch, the eternal recurrence, the Apollonian and Dionysian dichotomy, perspectivism, and the will to power. Central to his philosophy is the idea of “life-affirmation”, which involves questioning of all doctrines that drain life’s expansive energies, however socially prevalent and radical those views might be. His influence remains substantial within philosophy, notably in existentialism, post-modernism, and post-structuralism, as well as outside it. His radical questioning of the value and objectivity of truth has been the focus of extensive commentary, especially in the continental tradition.
1. IT IS NOT A LACK OF LOVE, BUT A LACK OF FRIENDSHIP THAT MAKES UNHAPPY MARRIAGES.
2. YOU MUST HAVE CHAOS WITHIN YOU TO GIVE BIRTH TO A DANCING STAR.
3. WITHOUT MUSIC, LIFE WOULD BE A MISTAKE.
4. THAT WHICH DOES NOT KILL US MAKES US STRONGER.
5. I’M NOT UPSET THAT YOU LIED TO ME, I’M UPSET THAT FROM NOE ON I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU.
6. IT IS HARD ENOUGH TO REMEMBER MY OPINIONS, WITHOUT ALSO REMEMBERING MY REASONS FOR THEM!
7. YOU HAVE YOUR WAY. I HAVE MY WAY. AS FOR THE RIGHT WAY, THE CORRECT WAY, AND THE ONLY WAY, IT DOES NOT EXIST.
8. THERE IS ALWAYS SOME MADNESS IN LOVE. BUT THERE IS ALSO ALWAYS SOME REASON IN MADNESS.
9. IN HEAVEN, ALL THE INTERESTING PEOPLE ARE MISSING.
10. WE SHOULD CONSIDER EVERY DAY LOST ON WHICH WE HAVE NOT DANCED AT LEAST ONCE.
11. SOMETIMES PEOPLE DON’T WANT TO HEAR THE TRUTH BECAUSE THEY DON’T WANT THEIR ILLUSIONS DESTROYED.
12. THERE ARE NO FACTS, ONLY INTERPRETATIONS.
13. I CANNOT BELIEVE IN A GOD WHO WANTS TO BE PRAISED ALL THE TIME.
14. HE WHO HAS A WHY TO LIVE FOR CAN BEAR ALMOST ANY HOW.
15. I WOULD BELIEVE ONLY IN A GOD THAT KNOW HOW TO DANCE.
16. WHEN WE ARE TIRED, WE ARE ATTACKED BY IDEAS WE CONQUERED LONG AGO.
17. FAITH: NOT WANTING TO KNOW WHAT THE TRUTH IS.
18. A CASUAL STROLL THROUGH THE LUNATIC ASYLUM SHOWS THAT FAITH DOES NOT PROVE ANYTHING.
19. MAN IS THE CRUELEST ANIMAL.
20. IS MAN MERELY A MISTAKE OF GOD’S? OR GOD MERELY A MISTAKE OF MAN?
21. BE CAREFUL, LEST IN CASTING OUT YOUR DEMON YOU EXORCISE THE BEST THING IN YOU.
22. THERE ARE NO BEAUTIFUL SURFACES WITHOUT A TERRIBLE DEPTH.
23. WE HAVE ART IN ORDER NOT TO DIE OF THE TRUTH.
24. THE HIGHER WE SOAR THE SMALLER WE APPEAR TO THOSE WHO CANNOT FLY.
25. AH, WOMEN. THEY MAKE THE HIGHS HIGHER AND THE LOWS MORE FREQUENT.
26. ART IS THE PROPER TASK OF LIFE.
27. IN TRUTH, THERE WAS ONLY ONE CHRISTIAN AND HE DIED ON THE CROSS.