Famke Beumer Janssen (born 5 November 1965) is a Dutch actress, director, screenwriter, and former fashion model. She played Xenia Onatopp in GoldenEye (1995), Jean Grey/Phoenix in the X-Men film series (2000–present), Ava Moore on Nip/Tuck, and Lenore Mills in Taken (2008) and its sequel, Taken 2 (2012). In 2008, she was appointed a Goodwill Ambassador for Integrity by the United Nations. She made her directorial debut with Bringing Up Bobby in 2011.
Janssen was born in Amstelveen, Noord-Holland, Netherlands. Her first name, Famke, means “girl” in West Frisian, the native language of the Dutch province Friesland. She was given both her mother and father’s surnames; Beumer and Janssen. She retained the name Janssen.
1. I NEVER FOLLOW ANYBODY’S PATH, WHAT THEY’VE DONE.
2. I PERSONALLY LIKE TO DO INDEPENDENT FILMS.
3. I LOVE SCARY MOVIES. THE SHINING AND DON’T LOOK NOW ARE TWO OF THE BEST.
4. I DON’T WATCH TV.
5. I LOVE STORIES ABOUT TWO PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING ILLEGAL THINGS, WHO WE REALLY ENJOY WATCHING DESPITE THE FACT THAT WE KNOW THEY ARE DOOMED IN SOME WAY.
6. I LIKE THE WORK THAT I GET TO DO.
7. I ALWAYS FEEL LIKE I WANT TO DO MY CAREER MY OWN WAY.
8. JUST BECAUSE YOU’RE OF THE SAME SEX, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE? GET MARRIED TO WHOMEVER YOU WANT.
9. NETFLIX IS SOMETHING I WATCH.
10. I STARTED AS A MODEL IN HOLLAND AND CHANEL TOOK ME TO NEW YORK WHEN I WAS 19, AFTER WHICH I DECIDED TO STAY.
11. DISNEYLAND IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH AND I HAVE TO SAY WHEN I’M RIDING AROUND IN THAT CRAZY SPACE MOUNTAIN RIDE I’M HAPPY.
12. I THINK EVERY MOVIE IS ITS OWN LITTLE WORLD, AND A DIRECTOR CERTAINLY SETS THE TONE.
13. THE ONLY WAY TO DO IS JUST TO GO FOR IT, OTHERWISE IT ENDS UP LOOKING PHONEY.
14. THE ONLY WAY TO DO IS JUST TO GO FOR IT, OTHERWISE IT ENDS UP LOOKING PHONEY.
15. THERE’S CERTAIN THINGS I TRY TO AVOID, AS AN ACTRESS, JUST TO KEEP MY WORLD FROM BEING AS NARROW AS IT COULD BE.
16. I’M INTRIGUED BY THE DARK. OUT OF DARKNESS COMES CREATION.