Emma Thompson (born 15 April 1959) is a British actress, screenwriter and author. Cited as one of the greatest British actresses of her generation, she is known for her portrayal of reticent women in period dramas and literary adaptations, often playing haughty or matronly characters with a sense of irony.
Born in Paddington, London to English actor Eric Thompson and Scottish actress Phyllida Law, she was educated at Camden School for Girls and Newnham College, University of Cambridge, where she became a member of the Footlights troupe. After appearing in several comedy programmes, she first came to prominence in 1987 in two BBC TV series, Tutti Frutti and Fortunes of War, winning the BAFTA TV Award for Best Actress for her work in both.
1. SOMETIMES YOU’LL HAVE SOME THINGS, AND SOMETIMES YOU’LL HAVE OTHER THINGS. AND YOU DO NOT NEED IT ALL AT ONCE; IT’S NOT GOOD FOR YOU.
2. ITS UNFORTUNATE AND I REALLY WISH I WOULDN’T HAVE TO SAY THIS, BUT I REALLY LIKE HUMAN BEINGS WHO HAVE SUFFERED. THEY’RE KINDER.
3. A LOT OF VERY BEAUTIFUL WOMEN CAN BE A PAIN BECAUSE ALL THEY’RE THINKING ABOUT IS HOW THEY LOOK.
4. YOU CAN’T IMAGINE WHAT SATISFACTION CAN BE GOTTEN FROM THROWING A PIE INTO SOMEONE’S FACE.
5. CHILDREN DON’T NEED MUCH ADVICE BUT THEY REALLY DO NEED TO BE LISTENED TO AND NOT JUST WITH HALF AN EAR.
6. WE BELABOUR, I THINK, UNDER A VERY HEAVY CRUST OF CONSUMERISM REALLY.
7. FILM IS SO MUCH TO DO WITH PERFECTION AND HOW DIFFERENTLY YOU CAN FEEL ABOUT SOMEONE AT THE BEGINNING OF THE FILM AND THE END OF THE FILM.
8. WHAT WAS IMPORTANT WAS TRYING TO CREATE SOMETHING THAT FAMILIES COULD WATCH TOGETHER AND ENJOY TOGETHER.
9. MY APPEARANCE HAS CHANGED A LOT OVER THE YEARS, BUT IT HAS FAR MORE TO DO WITH HOW I FEEL ABOUT BEING A WOMAN.
10. CHILDREN ARE THE MOST WONDERFUL AUDIENCES. WHAT’S STRUCK ME MOST IS THAT THAT THEY WATCH IT SO SILENTLY, UNTIL THE END WHEN THEY SHRIEK AND SHOUT AND CLAP.
11. I HAVE TO WRITE FOR EVERYONE. WHAT REALLY FASCINATES ME IS HOW YOU MAKE FILMS OR MAKE STORIES THAT CAN GENUINELY BE SHARED BY DIFFERENT GROUPS.
12. THE FACT IS THAT YOUNG PEOPLE ARE GOING TO HAVE SEX WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.