Donna Karan (born October 2, 1948), also known under the alias “DK”, is an American fashion designer and the creator of the Donna Karan New York and DKNY clothing labels.
She graduated from Hewlett High School in 1966, and then went to the Parsons School of Design.
After leaving college, Karan worked for Anne Klein, eventually becoming head of the Anne Klein design-team, where she remained until 1985, when she launched her eponymous Donna Karan label.
1. DESIGN IS A CONSTANT CHALLENGE TO BALANCE COMFORT WITH LUXE, THE PRACTICAL WITH THE DESIRABLE.
2. IF I WEREN’T DOING WHAT I’M DOING TODAY… I’D BE TRAVELING AROUND THE WORLD ON THE BACK OF A MOTORCYCLE.
3. EVENING IS A TIME OF REAL EXPERIMENTATION. YOU NEVER WANT TO LOOK THE SAME WAY.
4. BASICALLY, I WAS A HIPPIE AND STILL AM A FLOWER CHILD.
5. I’D RATHER PROMOTE NEW YORK THAN ANYTHING ELSE IN THIS WORLD BECAUSE NEW YORK TO ME MEANS THE WORLD.
6. I THINK I WAS A NOMAD IN ANOTHER LIFE.
7. WOMEN SHOULD ALWAYS TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES FIRST. IT MAKES YOU MORE EQUIPPED TO TAKE CARE OF OTHERS.
8. BUSINESS, NUMBERS, NEGOTIATIONS, ALL THAT STUFF I WOULDN’T GO NEAR.
9. IT USED TO BE ONLY YOGA, BUT NOW I DO PILATES AS WELL; I FEEL LIKE I NEED THE BALANCE.
10. I FEEL VERY STRONGLY ABOUT DRESSES ON EVERY LEVEL – A DRESS FEELS LIKE UNDERPINNING.