Donatella Versace (born 2 May 1955) is an Italian fashion designer and current Vice-President of the Versace Group, as well as chief designer. She owns 20 percent of the entire stock market assets of Versace. Her brother, Santo Versace, owns 30 percent. Donatella’s daughter Allegra Versace inherited 50% of the company stock after the death of Gianni Versace, Donatella’s brother and Versace’s founder.
Versace was born in the Italian city of Reggio Calabria, the youngest of four children in her family. Her father was a personal financier to the Italian aristocracy. An older sister, Tina, died at the age of twelve from an improperly treated tetanus infection. In the mid-1970s, Donatella followed her older brother, Giovanni (“Gianni”), to pursue knitwear design in Florence, Italy.
1. CREATIVITY COMES FROM A CONFLICT OF IDEAS.
2. I LIKE PERFUME AND FLOWERS.
3. IT WOULD BE VERY EASY FOR US TO DO A COLLECTION THAT EVERYBODY WOULD LIKE AND NOT CRITICIZE. BUT CRITICISM IS A PART OF LIFE. YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT.
4. FASHION IS NOT FRIVOLOUS. I AM A BUSINESSWOMAN, A VERY SERIOUS PERSON.
5. FASHION IS ALL ABOUT HAPPINESS. IT’S FUN. IT’S IMPORTANT. BUT IT’S NOT MEDICINE.
6. SOMETIMES BIG DESIGNERS ARE AFRAID THAT PEOPLE WON’T RECOGNIZE THEM IF THEY CHANGE THAT MUCH.
7. I DON’T LIKE MY PHYSIQUE AT ALL.
8. GIANNI CREATED THE WHOLE THING. I CAME LATER AND HELPED HIM.
9. I DON’T LIKE BALANCE. BALANCE IS NOT A WORD YOU CAN USE IN VERSACE FASHION.
10. IN ITALIAN THERE IS AN EXPRESSION: WE DON’T SLEEP ON THE FAME.
11. YOU CAN’T PRETEND THAT EVERYBODY LIKES VERSACE. IT WOULD BE BORING. IT’S BETTER TO CREATE A REACTION THAN TO CREATE NO REACTION. THAT’S DANGEROUS.