Richard Wayne “Dick” Van Dyke (born December 13, 1925) is an American actor, comedian, writer, singer, dancer, and producer with a career spanning almost seven decades. He is the older brother of Jerry Van Dyke and father of Barry Van Dyke. Van Dyke starred in the films Bye Bye Birdie, Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and in the TV series The Dick Van Dyke Show and Diagnosis: Murder. Van Dyke is a recipient of numerous awards in the entertainment industry, including five Emmys, a Tony, and a Grammy. In 1995, he was inducted into the Television Hall of Fame. He received the Screen Actors Guild’s highest honor, the SAG Life Achievement Award, in 2013. Van Dyke has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7021 Hollywood Boulevard.
1. WOMEN WILL NEVER BE AS SUCCESSFUL AS MEN BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO WIVES TO ADVISE THEM.
2. THE SECRET TO KEEPING MOVING IS KEEPING MOVING.
3. I’VE RETIRED SO MANY TIMES NOW IT’S GETTING TO BE A HABIT.
4. SOMEBODY ASKED WHAT I WANTED ON MY GRAVESTONE. I’M JUST GOING TO PUT: ‘GLAD I COULD HELP.’
5. ONCE YOU GET THE KIDS RAISED AND THE MORTGAGE PAID OFF AND ACCOMPLISH WHAT YOU WANTED TO DO IN LIFE, THERE’S A GREAT FEELING OF: ‘HEY, I’M FREE AS A BIRD.’
6. I’M NOT A LONER. I HAVE TO HAVE A LIFE PARTNER.
7. MY CAREER IS OVER. I’M JUST PLAYING NOW AND HAVING A GREAT TIME. I LIKE TO KEEP BUSY, AND I’M DOING WHAT’S FUN FOR ME.
8. I THINK IT’S BEING THROWN AT THE WOLVES, WE CALL IT IN OUR BUSINESS.
9. I’M ALWAYS ANNOUNCING MY RETIREMENT. I’M STILL NOT RETIRED.
10. SO AT 16 I GOT A JOB AT THE LOCAL RADIO STATION. AND I WAS WORKING AFTER SCHOOL AND WEEKENDS. I DID THE NEWS; I DID EVERYTHING. I DID – PLAYED RECORDS.
11. TODAY, IF YOU’RE NOT AN ALCOHOLIC, YOU’RE NOBODY.
12. A LOT OF VIOLENCE, A LOT OF GORE IN IT, AND I JUST DIDN’T WANT TO DO THAT KIND OF THING.
13. IN THE BEST OF ALL WORLDS, THE PRODUCERS WOULD TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE KINDS OF THINGS THEY’RE PUTTING OUT. UNFORTUNATELY, THEY DON’T.
14. DO YOU KNOW THAT I WAS THE ANCHOR ON THE ‘CBS MORNING SHOW?’ AND MY NEWSMAN WAS WALTER CRONKITE.
15. I DON’T HAVE ANY CHILDREN; I HAVE FOUR MIDDLE-AGED PEOPLE.
16. YOU KNOW, I’M ALMOST OUT OF THE HABIT OF WATCHING EPISODIC TELEVISION NOW.
17. I WATCH ‘AL JAZEERA.’ THEY HAVE NEWS THAT YOU CAN’T FIND ANYWHERE ELSE. THEY DO GREAT DOCUMENTARIES, TOO.
18. MY KIDS ARE SO MUCH BETTER PARENT THAN I WAS.
19. OH, WELL, MY FIRST LOVE IS COMEDY OR SINGING AND DANCING.
20. SO AS MY KIDS WILL TELL YOU, THEY HAD A PRETTY NORMAL LIFE.
21. I WATCH ‘AL JAZEERA.’ THEY HAVE NEWS THAT YOU CAN’T FIND ANYWHERE ELSE. THEY DO GREAT DOCUMENTARIES, TOO.
22. I WAS LUCKY TO GET THE KINDS OF PARTS I WANTED. I ALWAYS SAID I DIDN’T WANT TO DO ANYTHING MY KIDS CAN’T SEE.
23. I NEVER MADE A GOOD MOVIE.