The Dalai Lama is a high lama in the Gelug or “Yellow Hat” branch of Tibetan Buddhism. The name is a combination of the Mongolian word далай (dalai) meaning “Ocean” and the Tibetan word བླ་མ་ bla-ma (with a silent “b”) meaning “chief, high priest”.
In religious terms, the Dalai Lama is believed by his devotees to be the rebirth of a long line of tulkus who are considered to be manifestations of the bodhisattva of compassion, Avalokiteśvara. Traditionally, the Dalai Lama is thought of as the latest reincarnation of a series of spiritual leaders who have chosen to be reborn in order to enlighten others. The Dalai Lama is often thought to be the leader of the Gelug School, but this position belongs officially to the Ganden Tripa, which is a temporary position appointed by the Dalai Lama who, in practice, exerts much influence. The line of Dalai Lamas began as a lineage of spiritual teachers; the 5th Dalai Lama assumed political authority over Tibet.
1. REMEMBER THAT NOT GETTING WHAT YOU WANT IS SOMETIMES A WONDERFUL STROKE OF LUCK.
2. HAPPINESS IS NOT SOMETHING READY MADE. IT COMES FROM YOUR OWN ACTIONS.
3. IF YOU THINK YOU ARE TOO SMALL TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE, TRY SLEEPING WITH A MOSQUITO.
4. LOVE IS THE ABSENCE OF JUDGMENT.
5. MY RELIGION IS VERY SIMPLE. MY RELIGION IS KINDNESS.
6. SILENCE IS SOMETIMES THE BEST ANSWER.
7. KNOW THE RULES WELL, SO YOU CAN BREAK THEM EFFECTIVELY.
8. CHOOSE TO BE OPTIMISTIC, IT FEELS BETTER.
9. JUDGE YOUR SUCCESS BY WHAT YOU HAD TO GIVE UP IN ORDER TO GET IT.
10. A TRULY COMPASSIONATE ATTITUDE TOWARD OTHERS DOES NOT CHANGE EVEN IF THEY BEHAVE NEGATIVELY OR HURT YOU.
11. WHEN YOU REALIZE YOU’VE MADE A MISTAKE, TAKE IMMEDIATE STEPS TO CORRECT IT.
12. LOVE AND COMPASSION ARE THE TRUE RELIGIONS TO ME. BUT TO DEVELOP THIS, WE DO NOT NEED TO BELIEVE IN ANY RELIGION.
13. THE WAY TO CHANGE OTHERS’ MINDS IS WITH AFFECTION, AND NOT ANGER.
14. BE KIND WHENEVER POSSIBLE. IT IS ALWAYS POSSIBLE.
15. COMPASSION IS THE RADICALISM OF OUR TIME.
16. IN THE PRACTICE OF TOLERANCE, ONE’S ENEMY IS THE BEST TEACHER.
17. OPEN YOUR ARMS TO CHANGE BUT DON’T LET GO OF YOUR VALUES.
18. I FIND HOPE IN THE DARKEST OF DAYS, AND FOCUS IN THE BRIGHTEST. I DO NOT JUDGE THE UNIVERSE.
19. I DEFEAT MY ENEMYS WHEN I MAKE THEM MY FRIENDS.
20. A GENUINE, AFFECTIONATE SMILE IS VERY IMPORTANT IN OUR DAY-TO-DAY LIVES.
21. SLEEP IS THE BEST MEDITATION.
22. WHERE IGNORANCE IS OUR MASTER, THERE IS NO POSSIBILITY OF REAL PEACE.