Christian Charles Philip Bale (born 30 January 1974) is an English actor. He has starred in both blockbuster films and smaller projects from independent producers and art houses.
Bale first caught the public eye at the age of 13, when he was cast in the starring role of Steven Spielberg’s Empire of the Sun (1987). Based on the original story by J. G. Ballard, Bale played an English boy who is separated from his parents and subsequently finds himself lost in a Japanese internment camp during World War II. In 2000, he garnered critical acclaim for his portrayal of serial killer Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. He earned a reputation as a method actor after he lost 63 pounds to play the role of Trevor Reznik in The Machinist (2004).
1. IT’S NOT WHO I AM UNDERNEATH BUT WHAT I DO THAT DEFINES ME.
2. ALL OF THE MUSCLES WERE GONE, SO THAT WAS A REAL TOUGH TIME OF REBUILDING ALL OF THAT. BUT YOU HAVE A DEADLINE, YOU HAVE AN OBLIGATION. YOU’VE SAID THAT YOU WILL COMMIT TO THIS PART, AND I JUST CAN’T LIVE WITH MYSELF FOR NOT REALLY GIVING IT AS MUCH AS I CAN.
3. I TEND TO THINK YOU’RE FEARLESS WHEN YOU RECOGNIZE WHY YOU SHOULD BE SCARED OF THINGS, BUT DO THEM ANYWAY.
4. IT’S GOT TO DO WITH PUTTING YOURSELF IN OTHER PEOPLE’S SHOES AND SEEING HOW FAR YOU CAN COME TO TRULY UNDERSTAND THEM. I LIKE THE EMPATHY THAT COMES FROM ACTING.
5. WORKING OUT IS INCREDIBLY BORING. I SWEAR IT’S TRUE THAT THE BIGGER YOUR MUSCLES GET, THE FEWER BRAIN CELLS YOU HAVE.
6. I THINK TRYING TOO HARD TO BE SEXY IS THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD A WOMAN CAN DO.
7. I HAVE A FEAR OF BEING BORING.
8. IF EVERYONE REALLY KNEW WHAT A JERK I AM IN REAL LIFE, I WOULDN’T BE SO ADORED IN THE SLIGHTEST.
9. THE ONLY THING THAT I’M OBSESSED WITH IS SLEEPING, AND ACTUALLY, IT IS MORE THAN AN OBSESSION, IT IS A PLEASURE.