Charles Robert Darwin, FRS (12 February 1809 – 19 April 1882) was an English naturalist. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors, and proposed the scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Darwin published his theory of evolution with compelling evidence in his 1859 book On the Origin of Species, overcoming scientific rejection of earlier concepts of transmutation of species. By the 1870s the scientific community and much of the general public had accepted evolution as a fact. However, many favoured competing explanations and it was not until the emergence of the modern evolutionary synthesis from the 1930s to the 1950s that a broad consensus developed in which natural selection was the basic mechanism of evolution. In modified form, Darwin’s scientific discovery is the unifying theory of the life sciences, explaining the diversity of life.
1. A MAN WHO DARES TO WASTE ONE HOUR OF TIME HAS NOT DISCOVERED THE VALUE OF LIFE.
2. ANIMALS, WHOM WE HAVE MADE OUR SLAVES, WE DO NOT LIKE TO CONSIDER OUR EQUAL.
3. I AM NOT APT TO FOLLOW BLINDLY THE LEAD OF OTHER MEN.
4. IF THE MISERY OF THE POOR BE CAUSED NOT BY THE LAWS OF NATURE, BUT BY OUR INSTITUTIONS, GREAT IS OUR SIN.
5. IGNORANCE MORE FREQUENTLY BEGETS CONFIDENCE THAN DOES KNOWLEDGE.
6. THE LOVE FOR ALL LIVING CREATURES IS THE MOST NOBLE ATTRIBUTE OF MAN.
7. A MANS FRIENDSHIPS ARE ONE OF THE BEST MEASURES OF HIS WORTH.
8. GREAT IS POWER OF STEADY MISREPRESENTATION.
9. MULTIPLY, VERY, LET THE STRONGEST LIVE AND THE WEAKEST DIE.
10. I AM NOT THE LEAST AFRAID TO DIE.
11. INTELLIGENCE IS BASED ON HOW EFFICIENT A SPECIES BECAME AT DOING THE THINGS THEY NEED TO SURVIVE.
12. THERE IS GRANDEUR IN THIS VIEW OF THINGS.
13. HE WHO UNDERSTANDS BABOONS WOULD DO MORE TOWARDS METAPHYSICS THAN LOCKE.
14. … FOR THE SHIELD MAY BE AS IMPORTANT FOR VICTORY, AS THE SWORD OR SPEAR.
15. YOU CAN’T MAKE AN OMELET WITHOUT BREAKING A FEW EGGS.
16. WHEREVER THE EUROPEAN HAD TROD, DEATH SEEMED TO PURSUE THE ABORIGINAL.
17. WE WILL NOW DISCUSS IN A LITTLE MORE DETAIL THE STRUGGLE FOR EXISTENCE.
18. BLUSHING IS THE MOST PECULIAR AND MOST HUMAN OF ALL EXPRESSIONS.
19. SUCH SIMPLE INSTINCTS AS BEES MAKING A BEEHIVE COULD BE SUFFICIENT TO OVERTHROW MY WHOLE THEORY.
20. OUR DESCENT, THEN, IS THE ORIGIN OF OUR EVIL PASSIONS!! THE DEVIL UNDER FORM OF BABOON IS OUR GRANDFATHER.