Calvin Richard Klein (born November 19, 1942) is an American fashion designer of Jewish Hungarian origin who launched the company that would later become Calvin Klein Inc., in 1968. In addition to clothing, Klein has also given his name to a range of perfumes, watches, and jewelry.
Klein was born in The Bronx. He attended the High School of Art and Design and matriculated at, but never graduated from, New York’s Fashion Institute of Technology, receiving an honorary Doctorate in 2003. He did his apprenticeship in 1962 at an oldline cloak-and-suit manufacturer, Dan Millstein, and spent five years designing at other New York shops. In 1968, he launched his first company with a childhood friend, Barry K. Schwartz.
1. I’M CRAZY, AND I DON’T PRETEND TO BE ANYTHING ELSE.
2. I THINK THERE’S SOMETHING INCREDIBLY SEXY ABOUT A WOMAN WEARING HER BOYFRIEND’S T-SHIRT AND UNDERWEAR.
3. THE BEST THING IS TO LOOK NATURAL, BUT IT TAKES MAKEUP TO LOOK NATURAL.
4. IF YOU REALLY LOVE SOMEONE AND CARE ABOUT HIM, YOU CAN SURVIVE MANY DIFFICULTIES.
5. YOU DON’T ONLY WORRY ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO HATE OR RESENT YOU; IN A WAY, YOU’RE MORE WORRIED ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO LOVE YOU.
6. I LOVE WOMEN. I’M TRYING TO DO BEAUTIFUL THINGS WITH THEM. I’M NOT TRYING TO INSULT THEM. MY LIFE IS NOT ABOUT THAT.
7. WOMEN’S WEAR DAILY CAN DO MORE THAN ANY OTHER PUBLICATION TO ESTABLISH A DESIGNER.
8. I’M NOT A DRUG ADDICT. MY WILD PERIOD WASN’T ABOUT DRUGS; IT WAS ABOUT SEXUAL FREEDOM.
9. I PERSONALLY WOULD NOT HAVE PLASTIC SURGERY. WHAT THE HELL FOR? IT LOOKS RIDICULOUS.
10. I DON’T ALWAYS WANT MY OPINION KNOWN. WHAT LITTLE PRIVACY I HAVE LEFT I’D LIKE TO MAINTAIN.
11. I STILL DRINK VODKA; I’M NOT AN ADVOCATE OF DRINKING, BUT I’M NO ANGEL. I DON’T LIKE GRASS, BECAUSE IT JUST MAKES ME HUNGRY.
12. I WON’T ALLOW MYSELF TO HAVE TREMENDOUS FEAR.
13. THERE’S AN AWARENESS OF FASHION IN THIS COUNTRY, AND IT’S NOT LIMITED TO GAY PEOPLE.
14. COMMERCIALS CAPTURE YOUR ATTENTION, THAT’S ALL.
15. ANYONE WHO IS SECURE ABOUT HERSELF SHOULDN’T BE THREATENED BY THE ADS I DO.