Gautama Buddha or Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha (Siddhattha Gotama), also called Sakyamuni, was a sage from the ancient Shakya republic, on whose teachings Buddhism was founded. He is also referred to as “the Buddha” or most commonly simply as “Buddha.”
Buddha means “awakened one” or “the enlightened one.” “Buddha” is also used as a title for the first awakened being in an era. In most Buddhist traditions, Siddhartha Gautama is regarded as the Supreme Buddha (P. sammāsambuddha, S. samyaksaṃbuddha) of our age, Gautama Buddha may also be referred to as Shakyamuni Buddha, Śākyamuni or “The Awakened One of the Shakya Clan.”
1. DO NOT DWELL IN THE PAST, DO NOT DREAM OF THE FUTURE, CONCENTRATE THE MIND ON THE PRESENT MOMENT.
2. THOUSANDS OF CANDLES CAN BE LIGHTED FROM A SINGLE CANDLE, AND THE LIFE OF THE CANDLE WILL NOT BE SHORTENED. HAPPINESS NEVER DECREASES BY BEING SHARED.
3. WE ARE SHAPED BY OUR THOUGHTS; WE BECOME WHAT WE THINK. WHEN THE MIND IS PURE, JOY FOLLOWS LIKE A SHADOW THAT NEVER LEAVES.
4. THREE THINGS CANNOT BE LONG HIDDEN: THE SUN, THE MOON, AND THE TRUTH.
5. HOWEVER MANY HOLY WORDS YOU READ, HOWEVER MANY YOU SPEAK, WHAT GOOD WILL THEY DO YOU IF YOU DO NOT ACT ON UPON THEM?
6. HATRED DOES NOT CEASE BY HATRED, BUT ONLY BY LOVE; THIS IS THE ETERNAL RULE.
7. TO BE IDLE IS A SHORT ROAD TO DEATH AND TO BE DILIGENT IS A WAY OF LIFE; FOOLISH PEOPLE ARE IDLE, WISE PEOPLE ARE DILIGENT.
8. JUST AS A CANDLE CANNOT BURN WITHOUT FIRE, MEN CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT A SPIRITUAL LIFE.
9. AN INSINCERE AND EVIL FRIEND IS MORE TO BE FEARED THAN A WILD BEAST; A WILD BEAST MAY WOUND YOUR BODY, BUT AN EVIL FRIEND WILL WOUND YOUR MIND.
10. DO NOT OVERRATE WHAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED, NOR ENVY OTHERS. HE WHO ENVIES OTHERS DOES NOT OBTAIN PEACE OF MIND.
11. NO ONE SAVES US BUT OURSELVES. NO ONE CAN AND NO ONE MAY. WE OURSELVES MUST WALK THE PATH.
12. THERE ARE ONLY TWO MISTAKES ONE CAN MAKE ALONG THE ROAD TO TRUTH; NOT GOING ALL THE WAY, AND NOT STARTING.
13. TO KEEP THE BODY IN GOOD HEALTH IS A DUTY… OTHERWISE WE SHALL NOT BE ABLE TO KEEP OUR MIND STRONG AND CLEAR.
14. HOLDING ON TO ANGER IS LIKE GRASPING A HOT COAL WITH THE INTENT OF THROWING IT AT SOMEONE ELSE; YOU ARE THE ONE WHO GETS BURNED.
15. THE TONGUE LIKE A SHARP KNIFE… KILLS WITHOUT DRAWING BLOOD.
16. IN THE SKY, THERE IS NO DISTINCTION OF EAST AND WEST; PEOPLE CREATE DISTINCTIONS OUT OF THEIR OWN MINDS AND THEN BELIEVE THEM TO BE TRUE.
17. THE MIND IS EVERYTHING. WHAT YOU THINK YOU BECOME.
18. BETTER THAN A THOUSAND HOLLOW WORDS, IS ONE WORD THAT BRINGS PEACE.
19. I NEVER SEE WHAT HAS BEEN DONE; I ONLY SEE WHAT REMAINS TO BE DONE.
20. YOU WILL NOT BE PUNISHED FOR YOUR ANGER, YOU WILL BE PUNISHED BY YOUR ANGER.