Alicia Augello Cook (born January 25, 1981), known professionally as Alicia Keys, is an American singer-songwriter and actress. Keys released her debut album with J Records, having had previous record deals first with Columbia and then Arista Records. Keys’ debut album, Songs in A Minor, was a commercial success, selling over 12 million copies worldwide. She became the best-selling new artist and best-selling R&B artist of 2001. The album earned Keys five Grammy Awards in 2002, including Best New Artist and Song of the Year for “Fallin'”. Her second studio album, The Diary of Alicia Keys, was released in 2003 and was also another success worldwide, selling eight million copies. The album garnered her an additional four Grammy Awards in 2005. Later that year, she released her first live album, Unplugged, which debuted at number one in the United States. She became the first female to have an MTV Unplugged album to debut at number one and the highest since Nirvana in 1994.
1. I’D RATHER NOT HAVE ANYTHING THAN BE A LIAR.
2. I HAVE MY MOTHER WHO IS AN IRISH-ITALIAN, AND MY FATHER WHO IS AFRICAN, SO I HAVE THE TASTE BUDS OF AN ITALIAN AND THE SPICE OF AN AFRICAN.
3. I LOVE THE WRITTEN WORD SO MUCH, I KNOW IT’S GONNA FLOW NATURALLY.
4. SOUL MUSIC IS TIMELESS.
5. I ALWAYS WANT TO STAY FOCUSED ON WHO I AM, EVEN AS I’M DISCOVERING WHO I AM.
6. I REALLY LIKE TO LIVE MY LIFE IN A LOW-KEY FASHION.
7. I WOULD HATE TO MAKE MUSIC AND PEOPLE LOVE ME FOR SOMETHING THAT ISN’T ME.
8. WHEN I WAS YOUNGER, STUDYING CLASSICAL MUSIC, I REALLY HAD TO PUT IN THE TIME. THREE HOURS A DAY IS NOT EVEN NICE – YOU HAVE TO PUT IN SIX.
9. I BELIEVE AIDS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE WE FACE, BECAUSE HOW WE TREAT THE POOR IS A REFLECTION OF WHO WE ARE AS A PEOPLE.
10. I’M NOT ASHAMED OF WHAT I AM AND THAT I HAVE CURVES AND THAT I’M THICK. I LIKE MY BODY.
11. A MINOR IS ONE OF MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE KEYS TO PLAY IN. IT’S A VERY MOODY KEY, AND ALSO ‘A’ IS THE FIRST LETTER OF MY NAME. IT JUST REPRESENTS THE SONGS THROUGH MY EYES.
12. I’VE ALWAYS BEEN STRONG-MINDED, BUT I WONDER.
13. AND I LOVE KICK BOXING. IT’S A LOT OF FUN. IT GIVES YOU A LOT OF CONFIDENCE WHEN YOU CAN KICK SOMEBODY IN THE HEAD.
14. I LOVE BONO. I REALLY RESPECT WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR AFRICA AND HOW HE HAS USED HIS FAME TO DO GOOD IN THE WORLD. I HOPE I CAN DO HALF AS MUCH IN MY LIFE.
15. IF I WANT TO BE ALONE, SOME PLACE I CAN WRITE, I CAN READ, I CAN PRAY, I CAN CRY, I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT – I GO TO THE BATHROOM.
16. BUT WHEN I FIRST FELL IN LOVE WITH THE PIANO, I KNEW IT WAS ME. I WAS DYING TO PLAY.
17. I’M VERY HAPPY WITH MY BODY.
18. SIMPLICITY MAKES ME HAPPY.
19. I FEEL LIKE B SIDES ARE ALWAYS BETTER, NO MATTER WHOSE RECORD IT IS.
20. I SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ONE GETS VERY ATTACHED TO MATERIAL THINGS. THAT’S JUST NOT WHAT MY LIFE IS.
21. THE LAST THING I WANT IS TO WALK INTO MY HOUSE AFTER A LONG DAY AND SEE ALL THE GRAMMYS AND AWARDS. IT WOULD MAKE ME FEEL WEIRD.
22. I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE PIANO. I KNEW IT WAS ME. I WAS DYING TO PLAY.
23. I LIVED WITH MY MOM IN A REALLY SMALL APARTMENT. MY BEDROOM WAS LIKE IN THE LIVING ROOM. THAT’S WHY I STILL LOVE TO SLEEP ON COUCHES NOW.
24. I’VE STEPPED MORE INTO MY BUSINESS AND REALLY… TAKEN CONTROL FOR HOW I WANT THAT TO BE.
25. SOMETIMES I’VE GOTTEN PHOTOGRAPHS BACK AND PEOPLE HAVE LITERALLY SHAVEN OFF PIECES OF ME, AND I TELL THEM TO PUT IT BACK.
26. WHEN I WAS FIRST LEARNING SONGS, I’D HAVE A FAVORITE SONG, AND I’D TAKE THE CHORDS AND TWIST THEM AROUND. I’D LEARN THE CHORDS AND THEN PLAY THEM BACKWARD. THAT WAS MY FIRST EXPERIMENTING WITH WRITING A SONG.