Francis Bacon (22 January 1561 – 9 April 1626), was an English philosopher, statesman, scientist, jurist, orator, essayist, and author. He served both as Attorney General and Lord Chancellor of England. After his death, he remained extremely influential through his works, especially as philosophical advocate and practitioner of the scientific method during the scientific revolution.
Bacon has been called the father of empiricism. His works established and popularised inductive methodologies for scientific inquiry, often called the Baconian method, or simply the scientific method. His demand for a planned procedure of investigating all things natural marked a new turn in the rhetorical and theoretical framework for science, much of which still surrounds conceptions of proper methodology today.
1. AGE APPEARS TO BE BEST IN FOUR THINGS; OLD WOOD BEST TO BURN, OLD WINE TO DRINK, OLD FRIENDS TO TRUST, AND OLD AUTHORS TO READ.
2. SILENCE IS THE SLEEP THAT NOURISHES WISDOM.
3. IN ORDER FOR THE LIGHT TO SHINE SO BRIGHTLY, THE DARKNESS MUST BE PRESENT.
4. IF A MAN’S WIT BE WANDERING, LET HIM STUDY THE MATHEMATICS.
5. NATURE, TO BE COMMANDED, MUST BE OBEYED.
6. IF A MAN WILL BEGIN WITH CERTAINTIES, HE SHALL END IN DOUBTS, BUT IF HE WILL CONTENT TO BEGIN WITH DOUBTS, HE SHALL END IN CERTAINTIES.
7. REVENGE IS A KIND OF WILD JUSTICE, WHICH THE MORE A MAN’S NATURE RUNS TO, THE MORE OUGHT LAW TO WEED IT OUT.
8. A BACHELOR’S LIFE IS A FINE BREAKFAST, A FLAT LUNCH, AND A MISERABLE DINNER.
9. A LITTLE PHILOSOPHY INCLINETH MAN’S MIND TO ATHEISM, BUT DEPTH IN PHILOSOPHY BRINGETH MEN’S MINDS ABOUT TO RELIGION.
10. THE GREAT END OF LIFE IS NOT KNOWLEDGE BUT ACTION.
11. A MAN THAT STUDIETH REVENGE KEEPS HIS OWN WOUNDS GREEN.
12. HE THAT GIVES GOOD ADVICE, BUILDS WITH ONE HAND; HE THAT GIVES GOOD COUNSEL AND EXAMPLE, BUILDS WITH BOTH; BUT HE THAT GIVES GOOD ADMONITION AND BAD EXAMPLE, BUILDS WITH ONE HAND AND PULLS DOWN WITH THE OTHER.
13. HE THAT GIVES GOOD ADVICE, BUILDS WITH ONE HAND; HE THAT GIVES GOOD COUNSEL AND EXAMPLE, BUILDS WITH BOTH; BUT HE THAT GIVES GOOD ADMONITION AND BAD EXAMPLE, BUILDS WITH ONE HAND AND PULLS DOWN WITH THE OTHER.
14. IN TAKING REVENGE, A MAN IS BUT EVEN WITH HIS ENEMY; BUT IN PASSING IT OVER, HE IS SUPERIOR.
15. SMALL AMOUNTS OF PHILOSOPHY LEAD TO ATHEISM, BUT LARGER AMOUNTS BRING US BACK TO GOD.
16. READING MAKETH A FULL MAN; CONFERENCE A READY MAN; AND WRITING AN EXACT MAN.
17. THE BEST PART OF BEAUTY IS THAT WHICH NO PICTURE CAN EXPRESS.
18. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.
19. I WILL NEVER BE AN OLD MAN. TO ME, OLD AGE IS ALWAYS 15 YEARS OLDER THAN I AM.
20. IMAGINATION WAS GIVEN TO MAN TO COMPENSATE HIM FOR WHAT HE IS NOT; A SENSE OF HUMOR TO CONSOLE HIM FOR WHAT HE IS.