Bertrand Arthur William Russell, 3rd Earl Russell (18 May 1872 – 2 February 1970) was a British philosopher, logician, mathematician, historian, and social critic. At various points in his life he considered himself a liberal, a socialist, and a pacifist, but he also admitted that he had never been any of these in any profound sense. He was born in Monmouthshire, into one of the most prominent aristocratic families in Britain.
1. THERE ARE TWO MOTIVES FOR READING A BOOK; ONE, THAT YOU ENJOY IT; THE OTHER, THAT YOU CAN BOAST ABOUT IT.
2. OF ALL FORMS OF CAUTION, CAUTION IN LOVE IS PERHAPS THE MOST FATAL TO TRUE HAPPINESS.
3. DO NOT FEAR TO BE ECCENTRIC IN OPINION, FOR EVERY OPINION NOW ACCEPTED WAS ONCE ECCENTRIC.
4. TO FEAR LOVE IS TO FEAR LIFE, AND THOSE WHO FEAR LIFE ARE ALREADY 3-PARTS DEAD.
5. THE SECRET OF HAPPINESS IS TO FACE THE FACT THAT THE WORLD IS HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE.
6. EVERYTHING IS VAGUE TO A DEGREE YOU DO NOT REALIZE TILL YOU HAVE TRIED TO MAKE IT PRECISE.
7. THE GREATEST CHALLENGE TO ANY THINKER IS STATING THE PROBLEM IN A WAY THAT WILL ALLOW A SOLUTION.
8. TO BE WITHOUT SOME OF THE THINGS YOU WANT IS AN INDISPENSABLE PART OF HAPPINESS.
9. NOT TO BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN IS, I THINK, ONE OF THE ESSENTIAL THINGS IN RATIONALITY.
10. SO FAR AS I CAN REMEMBER THERE IS NOT ONE WORD IN THE GOSPELS IN PRAISE OF INTELLIGENCE.
11. IT HAS BEEN SAID THAT MAN IS A RATIONAL ANIMAL. ALL MY LIFE I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR EVIDENCE WHICH COULD SUPPORT THIS.
12. AN IDEALIST IS ONE WHO, ON NOTICING THAT A ROSE SMELLS BETTER THAN A CABBAGE, CONCLUDES THAT IT MAKES A BETTER SOUP.
13. THE HARDEST THING TO LEARN IN LIFE IS WHICH BRIDGE TO CROSS AND WHICH TO BURN.
14. OUR GREAT DEMOCRACIES STILL TEND TO THINK THAT A STUPID MAN IS MORE LIKELY TO BE HONEST THAN A CLEVER MAN.
15. MOST PEOPLE WOULD SOONER DIE THAN THINK; IN FACT, THEY DO SO.
16. IT’S EASY TO FALL IN LOVE. THE HARD PART IS FINDING SOMEONE TO CATCH YOU.
17. I WOULD NEVER DIE FOR MY BELIEFS BECAUSE I MIGHT BE WRONG.
18. MEN ARE BORN IGNORANT, NOT STUPID. THEY ARE MADE STUPID BY EDUCATION.